Last Chapter 23

Lena walked through the racks of clothing sifting through different styles and colours of suits, she had been here for a few hours now trying to find something that would impress Kara. Nothing had caught her eye and she was beginning to fluster feeling her agitation grow. She needed things to be perfect, she had been pulling every stop she could think of to make the night just right. Sam had tagged along on Lena’s little adventure, multiple garments were thrown over her shoulder as she approached Lena, a devious smile ticking up her lips in the corners. The fallen angel winced as she saw her friend make her way over, she had a look about her that told Lena she was in for some trouble. Sam began ushering her towards one of the private changing rooms in the back setting up the multiple ansaumbles inside.

“Alright let's get this fashion show on the road.” Sam clapped her hands together grinning.

Lena sighed, shaking her head but indulging in her friend's antics, she stepped behind the curtain and began to undress. Lena had been more than happy when Sam had volunteered to accompany her to the local shop, the thought of doing this alone had sent Lena into a near spiral. Lena hated shopping for herself, she knew her way around a good power suit, making sure she dressed ready to take down any man who tried to put up a fight in her business meetings, but it was an uphill battle for the fallen angel. Always consumed with self loathing, the self consciousness seeping out of her like blood oozing from a fresh wound. She always went for an intimidating look to mask her uncertainty, a sharp pin stripe ensemble paired with her patented CEO glare she could strike fear into even the hardest of businessmen. 

Lena chose her looks wisely, her mission to make grown men shrivel always at the forefront of her mind, but she hated supporting such well known designers. She didn't need to put more money into the pockets of bureaucrats that made clothing for pennies and sold it for hundreds of dollars. Lena tried to find smaller designers, less well known who needed a push to show off their incredible works. She wanted to give a spotlight to those who wouldn't normally get the opportunity. With Lena’s stature and constant appearance in the media it gave these smaller creators the push they needed. It made her feel better giving back to people in any capacity she could, it brought her back to the days when she first fell, if even one person hadn’t stuck out their hand to her and helped her when she had been on her knees she might be in a very different situation today.

It was one of the reasons she chose this particular shop, showcasing incredible items that were made by local designers and seamstress pairs. Although she wouldn’t be showcasing this particular outfit at some public speaking engagement or wearing it at a fancy Gala for the world to see she still loved the thought that she was supporting them in any way she could.

Lena pulled out one of the suits from the hooks, it was a burgundy piece, a little tighter across the shoulders, among other places and it wasn't the most comfortable but most suits weren’t built to be. Lena fastened the button just under her bust before pushing past the curtain and standing awkwardly in front of Sam, who had taken up one of the plushy stools eyes glued to her phone checking a few work emails. Sam glanced up as Lena stood there looking like a fish out of water, her arms hanging awkwardly at her sides. The suit was nice, a suede texture to the garment but it looked far too tight, especially in the lower region and shoulders. “You look like you’re about to incredible Hulk right out of that suit,” Sam humphed and shook her head and flapped her hand at Lena to get back in  the changing room.

Lena let out a low growl but conceded trudging back into the room, pulling on the next piece Sam had picked out. Their little 'fashion show' went on for an hour and a half—far too long in Lena’s opinion—but the two had finally decided on a grey piece, with darker grey accents. It looked almost like a stunning marble, the pattern stretching across the whole outfit, the slacks were high waisted, her dress shirt and tie having a shiny texture to it. The suit jacket hangs a little lower than a traditional jacket, falling just below her hips and touching down at the top of her thighs. Lena undid the buttons of her coat and tucked her hand into her pocket looking at herself in the mirror. She was taken aback. Sam stood just behind her, watching her gaze through the mirror a smug look on her face.