Act I, Scene 1

ACT I

SCENE 1

(The scene opens to a living room, featuring a large black sofa in the center. Behind the sofa are a pair of bookshelves cluttered with books and various knicknacks. In front of the sofa sits a wooden coffee table situated on a beige rug. To the far left of the room, there is a small wooden desk with an office chair. To the far right, there is a door, meant to represent the front door of the house.)

(NOBARA returns home from school, opening the front door and entering the living room of her home. She appears exhausted, her shoulders slumped and her feet shuffling.)

NOBARA

Some birthday this was. Not sure why I was expecting anything, but hell, at least a cupcake would have been nice. Sweet 16 my ass.

(NOBARA opens up her school bag and searches around until she pulls out a card that reads "Happy Birthday.")

NOBARA

At least they sent me a card. Least they could do was throw some money in there, but oh well.

(NOBARA tosses the birthday card over her shoulder and plops down on the nearby sofa.)

NOBARA

Maybe next year I'll celebrate my own birthday. Yep, a birthday party with me, myself, and I...

(The lights in the living room flicker on and off, causing NOBARA to jump upright on the sofa. From the opposite side of the stage, a young blonde man in a suit enters the room.)

LUCIO

Good evening, Nobara Fukami. I must say, I've been waiting a long time for this day, it's a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance.

(NOBARA stands up on the sofa and staggers backward, away from LUCIO. She is noticeably shivering.)

NOBARA

What the hell?! Who are you?! What are you doing in my house?! Get the fuck out of here right now, or I'll call the police!

LUCIO

How rude. I was merely trying to introduce myself. After all, there is something very important you owe me, Nobara. I am only here to collect my payment.

NOBARA

What payment?! I don't even know what you're talking about!

(NOBARA leaps from the sofa and runs to the front door, then LUCIO snaps his fingers. NOBARA tugs on the door handle, but it will not open.)

NOBARA

No, no! Come on, let me out of here!

(LUCIO slowly approaches closer.)

LUCIO

I'm afraid you can't simply run away from your problems this time. I suppose I was a bit rushed in my welcome. My name is Lucio. Your grandfather made a contract with me a long time ago, and I am merely collecting my reward for granting his wish.

NOBARA

What are you?

LUCIO