Part 8 | wounds in my heart

Kennedy's P

Kennedy's P.O.V

I felt numb walking back towards The Hilton Resort. It had been so long that I had forgotten how exactly alike the Conroy twins looked.

I wanted him to be Sam.

But Sam wasn't quiet and cold faced with bursts of outrage. That was all Rylan. But then again I had never gotten to know Rylan.

It was always Sam and I.

"You don't deserve to be here."

"She's my problem."

"My brother died because of your family."

Like waves his words came and went throughout my mind, the salt of his sentences stung the reopened wounds in my heart.

I never hurt Rylan. I wasn't there to, but the pure hatred he held in his one look at me said otherwise.

My heart felt heavy and I didn't know what to think of myself.

The sun was going down in the distance. It's orange rays spreading themselves across the horizon and I could feel the heat of its touch on my back.

I've only been back in my hometown for an hour and everything feels like it's falling apart. Maybe I should've stayed in America. Sam was my home in Australia and with him gone I felt abandoned and pushed out of the place I loved growing up in.

I sneak around the back of the resort the way I had left to avoid the paparazzi as more WSL competitors arrived to check in. I couldn't imagine what the headline would be if my distraught appearance were to be in the next issue of 'Wave Magazine'.

"Looks like we have the same idea."

I jumped completely startled at the sound of a girls voice other than the one inside my head.

A girl my height with thick black hair and dark eyes drags her luggage and surfboard up to the side entrance door.

She was dressed in sweatpants that looked creased from a long flight and a white rip curl hoodie. "Do you think you could get that for me," she gestured at the door handle with a quick nod of her head.

"Oh yeah, sure." Pushing my feelings aside I rush over to pull the door open and the girl awkwardly piles through the door with me behind her.

Dropping her stuff on the floor she let out a tired sigh and smiled over at me. "Sakura Takao," she introduced herself.

My eyebrows lifted in surprise. Japans 2019 and 2020 youngest top three woman's finalist.

"I'm-"

"You're Kennedy Dyline." Her eyes bright as they skimmed over my face. "I'm totally jealous of your air reverse."

Her words brought a much needed smile to my face. "Thanks." I answered. "I would kill for your paddle strength."

She lifted her arms, pumping them into a pose to show off her biceps. Although this girl was a year younger than me she was totally ripped.