Weakness

3rd pov

Leo is a 3000 year old machine, and sometimes the Four Great Generals, as well as the Demon Queen, have a really hard time remembering that, with the way he acts. But, they can never forget the way he had tried to get them to kill him, in the hopes of saving the humans, as well as in the hopes of finally ending his life, even if he had not wanted to die. One more thing they'll probably never forget is the way he looked in pain, since they had injured him for the first time since meeting him, and they had not liked it. They had not considered the fact that there might be ways for the humans to hurt Leo, not after banishing him from the kingdom and leaving him with nowhere to go, despite everything he had done for them.

So when they head into the nearest town, they are surprised. Yes, the Demon Queen and her Generals are there, and this is a place they've conquered, but the way the humans glare at Leo, it's horrifying to see. It's like he's become the very thing they claimed Echidna used to be : a demon, a person set on destroying the world. He's not acting too differently, talking and walking with them, but it's clear he's noticed the stares from the way his shoulders are a bit tense, clearly he's also confused. There's a number of reasons they could be glaring, but with none of them stepping up to say anything, the group continues on. Echidna checks in with her subjects, making sure they're fine, while the four generals try to stand back, all of them having decided Leo would be the one to ask the humans how they felt living as they were.

The first few go fine, the people saying they actually prefer it, since the demons are pretty nice and they help, that the land is better than it used to be under the human ruler, and they're all more than glad to hear that, but the next few refuse to respond or are clearly angry, saying they preferred the human ruler, claiming the demons are hateful and rude, stating clearly they would prefer to be dead than continue living with demons, some pretty clear jabs at Leo himself hidden in there and they're a bit disappointed that people are still feeling like that, even after the months since they were conquered.

However, it's the next person that brings them all to a shock, because they start yelling at Leo. He'd approached a couple selling some sort of fruit, intending to ask how they're doing as well as if they need help with anything, since the girl is clearly pregnant, when they spot him. The scowls and dark looks on their face are almost personal, with the hatred aimed at him, as if they're blaming him. The generals will freely admit they admire his guts because he continues walking up to them, even after such a look being leveled at him.

"I just want to know if you need any help from the demons? They can help with anything, since your wife here is pregnant and will have to rest more often."

"Like I would stoop so low as to require the help of a demon. I already hate having to live next to them, their disgusting stench and looks, having their help would destroy whatever food or such that I would get. Besides, not all of us are so low that we need to join the other side."

"How is living here?" The woman replies this time, and for someone with such a sweet looking demeanor and pretty clothes, her voice and tone are downright lethal.

"It's the worst. The demons are everywhere, we can't go anywhere alone and the things they talk about and say, it's horrible having to listen to. But the worst thing has to be living with people who honestly think the demons are good people, as if they're anything other than slightly intelligent monsters who are going to kill us at some point. Honestly, to ever even consider the idea that the demons might be people and not just monsters, it's nauseating, especially since I know my child will be born into this world."

"The demons are not keeping you from leaving, why don't you just move to a different place?"

"Where would we go? All nearby cities and towns are under demonic control and we're already here. Besides, it's not like we'd get far with her being pregnant and I doubt there isn't going to be an ambush or sneak attack for people trying to leave cities, so the demons can claim they were just protecting themselves after slaughtering innocent civilians."