Chapter Five: The Fableous Miss Duchess Swan

{Chapter 5 POV: Duchess Swan}

"Bye guys," I addressed my friends after our long-lasting morning photoshoot. "See you at the interview and show tonight!"

Tonight was the first show of our tour. Fresh off the Hex Factor scene, we didn't yet have an album out yet, but have an EP almost completed and are continuing to write and record songs for a full length album.

Lizzie's genius "We Know" writeup proved to be too raw and special for the EP, so we'd be saving it, but still performing it. The song we wrote yesterday: when Cerise came back to the group after a long absence due to her worries over the wolf secret, she had this jackpot idea for a song called "Miss Movin' On". It was the fourth song we'd written for the EP out of six.

I didn't want to ever tell Sparrow either, but the song we'd started writing (on accident) today was based on a way-over-exaggerated version of our relationship the past week or two. The real inspiration only provided the idea of the song, and of course Holly exploded with lyric ideas and Lizzie knew just what melody to put it to, but the idea was still technically mine. I pray he won't be able to tell once we release the EP. It's called "Who Are You".

Now, I confidently traveled to our school's muse-ic room, where Sparrow's band, Sparrow Hood and the Merry Men, practice. When I stepped through the door, the guys were just finishing the song they were doing. It appeared to be a cover of some rock song I'd heard before but didn't recognize.

"Hey Duchess," Sparrow said, putting down his guitar. "We're done for today, guys." A few guys I'd never really bothered to learn the names of exited, and so did the new kid- Holly's new boyfriend Blake. "So, what's up?"

I took a seat and crossed my legs out of habit on a stool in the corner of the room while Sparrow put his guitar away. "I just came from a photoshoot for the new EP cover," I boasted proudly. My group had gotten much further than Sparrow's band popularity-wise, even though they'd been around a lot longer.

"You're still in that group?" Sparrow asked, as if he didn't want to believe it.

"Of course. The girls are my friends, and we're not so bad," I defended. I would have said something sarcastic if this conversation had taken place before the group formed, but hanging out with Apple and Lizzie so much made me think a little more before I spoke.

"Well I know you're great but Apple White? Seriously, how good can goody-goody be? And Holly- she can't even figure out her way out of her own hair, you think she can sing? Lizzie is too serious. Who else is in that group of yours?" Sparrow ranted, making me want to march right out of the room and back to the studio.

"Cerise; and we're better than the Merry Men anyway- I don't see you guys placing third on the Hex Factor," I argued, getting angrier.

"Cerise? My talentless tone-deaf cousin? You seriously didn't replace her? You know she's an animal-literally- right?" Sparrow laughed at what he said like Cerise, my friend, was some kind of joke.

"Shut up Sparrow! Who even told you that anyway?" I shouted, not sure of what else to say in our defense.

"Duh, I'm her cousin."

"Yeah, well maybe I'm not your girlfriend," I heard my voice say before I realized I was saying it. I knew I'd start crying if I stayed in the room any longer. I was trying to stick up for my friends and he wasn't listening. What I say is as important as what he says, isn't it? "Maybe if you actually knew anything about them, you wouldn't think what you think now." With the click-clack of my heels on the hard school floors, I zoomed through the door and let it slam behind me.

Sparrow ran up behind me, yelling "Duchess, where are you going?"

Although I was on the verge of fat, hot tears, I kept my chin up and held the waterworks back with all my strength. I couldn't risk ruining the hexcellent job Holly'd done with my makeup this morning. I was too busy to worry about Sparrow anyway. With songwriting, a photoshoot, an interview, and a concert all in one day, I'd rather be using this time relaxing anyway. There's only an hour and a half until our first interview. Only an hour and a half until I admit to our fan following that 'darrow' is no more.

I can tell myself all these things but I know I'm only lying to myself. It hurt- really hurt- that Sparrow could play with my emotions like this. I used to be the leader- my words strict and strong, all the more intimidating. Things are so different now. Come on Duchess! You don't need Sparrow. You're the fableous miss Duchess Swan.

"I'm going to my interview. Make sure you're watching!" I said in a mock-sweet tone. He'd sure be surprised getting that slap in the face.