Chapter Six: Apology Lattes

{Chapter 6 POV: Cerise Hood}

I arrived at the Book End Radio Station feeling a mix of emotions. I was almost as nervous as I'd felt each night before performing on the Hex Factor, but also excited and hopeful. I had both big news and high hopes for my promise to fix my cousin and good friends' relationship.

As for that stage fright, I'm hoping it goes away over time. It's added stress that I seriously don't need. With everything I have going on, I can't deal with it. I should be fearless, right? Fear of being in public (talking, and singing especially) was my last fear to abolish.

Ever since I started being more open about my secret to people I trust, I haven't worn my hood once. I'm still getting used to being comfortable without a hood, but it's going pretty well.

I swung open the heavy glass door and greeted my friends inside. Only Duchess and Kitty were there so far. Kitty, our manager, didn't have to worry about looking nice for our first interview, since she wouldn't be on camera. We'd all picked out our outfits earlier. Duchess had had Holly do her makeup ahead of time, and Holly did a fableous job. Sparrow is lucky to have (had) Duchess, he should really watch what he says to her more.

"Make sure you guys know what you're going to say," Kitty advised.

"Promise not to play any pranks on us this time?" I challenged, remembering one of the many times Kitty had played a little joke on us on stage. Let's just say... Apple, Duchess, and Lizzie didn't appreciate their hair being blown over their faces by an overactive fan behind us.

Kitty rolled her eyes. "Fine, I promise. But you've got to admit, that last one was pretty funny." Kitty grinned and walked over to our interviewer.

"Hey Duchess," I began, hoping to strike up a conversation about my (idiot) cousin Sparrow.

"Hey," Duchess said back, not seeming too interested in talking to me.

"Everything okay?"

"Why is your boyfriend so perfect?"

"What?"

"Your boyfriend! He's perfect!"

"No, he's not."

"My boyfriend-or ex- is an idiot."

"You broke up with Sparrow?" I questioned, pretending to have no idea. I've been getting increasingly better at acting recently.

"Yeah," Duchess pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. "He said some really awful things about you, Apple, Holly and Lizzie."

"I'm sure he didn't really mean those things. I already knew he was a stupid idiot- and I warned you, but he makes you so happy. Won't you miss that?" I tried, needing to fix this so Sparrow would give me my cookies and cream hocus latte.

"Yeah but..." Duchess stopped, her face twisting suddenly. "Oh no. Oh no, Cerise! You've got to help me. I think I'm gonna... I think I'm gonna... CRYYYYY!" Duchess wailed, her eyes getting red and her face blotching up. "I miss him! I know he was just upset because I rubbed in his face how far our group had gotten compared to the Merry Men. I'm tough, I thought he would pick on me! Instead he started talking about you guys, and I acted on impulse. I want him back!" The tears didn't come yet, but it was quite the emotional breakdown.

"Okay, Duchess, shhh... Shhh.... Chill, it's okay. I'll talk to him." I already talked to him, but I pretended to text him. As if on cue, at the planned time of 4:00 on the dot, Sparrow texted me saying he was outside with my latte. I told him to text me first- it was all part of my plan. "I told him to come here and apologize if he wants you back. Now we just wait, I guess," I said, holding back a winning smile.

Only a matter of seconds later, Sparrow burst through the door with two hocus lattes in his hands. One was obviously for his fableous and talented cousin, the other presumably for his old-new girlfriend.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't think that would upset you. Apology hocus latte?" Sparrow tried. He wasn't failing, but he wasn't quite there either.

"Apologize to my bandmate," Duchess said with her chin up, not taking a single sip of his apology gift yet.

"Sorry dude," Sparrow turned to me, quickly realizing his mistake. "I mean dudette."

"Ah, bingo," I said, nodding, impressed by his longer-than-I'd-thought memory. "Hand over the hocus latte!"

He presented the latte to me and I took it eagerly. "Now what did you say about me anyway?" I wanted to know.

"That you were a talented tone-deaf literal animal," he confessed causally.

"Of course," I laughed, with an unimpressed face.

"I didn't really mean it. I mean, it's obvious which side of the family the talent comes from." Sparrow always had a way of complimenting himself if he complimented someone else. Duchess found this totally funny, her honk-like laugh echoing in the radio station hall. It was a contagious laugh that made everyone else laugh too.

I could totally taste success- literally, success tastes like cookies and cream hocus latte- and I was feeling like a queen. (Ironically, since I'm the only one of the Fifth Destiny girlies that's not a future queen.)

In a few moments, Apple, Holly and Lizzie arrived, and Kitty motioned us into the studio. This interview would not only be broadcast all over Ever After on EAFM, but the radio station doubles as a TV studio for the local news and talk show. We'd also be all over the MirrorTVs.

As haunting a fright as this is, it was also a hexciting and nerve-wracking experience.

Queen Charming, the blond mother of Daring, Dexter and Darling Charming and King Charming's wife, was the host of the talk show that would be interviewing us today. Nobody told me this. It shook me up even more.

There was also a fairly large studio audience. I could recognize a few people, including Sparrow, Daring, and Blake Rider. Raven was also here, and Dexter and Darling sat with her. Crowds. I nervously rearranged my hair again, making sure my ears were out of view. Don't mess up, I could hear my conscience say.

"Welcome, girls. Please take a seat! We'll be live in just a few moments," the Queen said. The five of us nodded and each sat down in a collection of plush golden chairs. Feeling bold, I claimed the seat closest to Queen Charming. Apple was to my right, followed by Holly, Duchess, then Lizzie.

The cameramen became more tense, and the Queen took her seat next to me, the chair angled toward me, and our chairs angled toward hers.

"We're rolling. Five, four, three, two, one, and we're live!" One of the cameramen announced.

"Hello, and welcome to Good Afternoon, Ever After!" The Queen said cheerily.

I glanced at my friends, each of us wearing a proud and confident smile. Don't fall apart, you're doing just fine, my conscience continued.

There was a screen at the back of the studio displaying the live stream. I could see each of us on it. We each wore a matching colored skater dress. It wasn't something we were always going to do, but for good luck we decided to match. I wore one in cherry red, Apple in an amazing aqua, Holly in a baby pink and matching bow, Duchess in lovely lavender and Lizzie in simple black. We looked fierce and flawless. No worries, I thought. Hakuna Matata!

"And please welcome today's guests: Lizzie, Duchess, Holly, Apple, and Cerise of Fifth Destiny!" The Queen introduced, and the crowd cheered.

"First we'll be hearing from the girls in their first ever interview, then they are going to perform for us! Let's get started."