Chapter Fifteen

Darkstalker.

The mention of the name made Peacemaker flinch so hard that he nearly turned the table over.

Flamewielder cocked his head inquisitively. "I take it Moon's told you a lot about him?"

"No, actually," Peacemaker shakily replied. "She ... doesn't really talk about it all that much."

Now that was what Peacemaker would call a massive understatement.

Of course he knew of the huge, superpowered NightWing who had risen from the mountain and attempted to take over the tribe five years before. He knew how the powerful animus had used his magic to make every dragon trust him, and how many of the NightWings had fallen right into his claws. He knew about the war the new king had tried to start with the IceWings, and he knew that many of the NightWings involved were so ashamed that they would like to pretend it never happened.

Few dragons even dared to speak the fallen king's name, and this was especially true for Hope. Though she and Peacemaker had been living in the mountains when Darkstalker returned, she still treated the dark animus's name as though it were the worst curse imaginable. The first time Peacemaker had asked Moon and Hope about him, the two of them had looked absolutely horrified. Hope had cuffed Peacemaker across the ears and ordered him to never speak of it again, while Moon explained more gently that Darkstalker had been a very bad dragon and it was better to just let the tribe forget about him.

Peacemaker got the idea that it was Moon who really wanted to forget. He had heard the rumors floating around about how close Moon had been to Darkstalker, and he saw that pain in her eyes any time it was brought up. Of course, the last thing Peacemaker wanted to do was cause his friend heartache – or end up getting another lecture from Hope – so he kept his mouth shut, and he didn't talk about Darkstalker. After awhile, no one did.

But maybe things were different at the settlement. All these dragons had come here with Darkstalker when he'd tried to reoccupy the kingdom, and maybe they didn't feel the same crippling shame as the NightWings who had chosen to return to the rainforest. Then again, Flamewielder hadn't exactly spoken about his old king with any trace of fondness.

The grizzled NightWing flicked his tail thoughtfully. "Your friend hasn't told you much of the story. That's interesting."

"Would you ..." Peacemaker started, "I mean, could you tell me what happened? What did Dar – I mean, what did he do to you that made you distrust all animus dragons so much?"

Flamewielder sighed, pouring some water from the kettle into his cup. He took a long moment stirring the tea leaves into his drink and staring thoughtfully down at the wisps of rising steam before he finally spoke again. "I think it would be better for you to know," he said at last.

He looked up at Peacemaker. "Has Seeker told you what happened to her mother?"

Peacemaker glanced over at Seeker. "She said her mother died saving her egg from the hatchery when the volcano erupted."

"That is the gist of it, but it's important that you hear all the details for this story to make sense. If that's all right with you, Seeker."

Seeker nodded, but her expression was heavy with the same guilt that Peacemaker had sensed the day she'd first told him the story. He twined his tail around hers and smiled reassuringly.

Flamewielder took a drink from his cup and said, "Well, you might have realized by now that I'm ... let's say a little long in the tooth to have a daughter Seeker's age."