Chapter Twenty

The clouds on the horizon seemed to draw closer and closer the further they got from Jade Mountain, until at last they were flying beneath a dreary, overcast sky. Intermittent rain pelted their scales in scattered, heavy drops, and a mist of humid air obscured the shape of the rocky landscape below.

They flew harder and faster than before, their wings stinging with pain as they fought through the damp air. Occasionally, Cliff would use his greater speed and endurance to give them a boost, flying beneath his friends to create a bolstering updraft. This relentless pace was what allowed them to reach the Talon Peninsula before dark.

During that long flight, none of them said anything. None of them knew what to say.

The sprawling expanse of the ruins looked even more eerie beneath the haze of rain, with only the jagged outline of the structures visible. Cliff and Auklet observed the wrecked kingdom with wide eyes, but didn't ask any questions.

Seeker led them to the southeast side of the peninsula, where one of the steep promontories jutted out into the lashing sea. On a rise at the top of the cliff was a rectangular brick building, nestled between the patches of wildflowers and scrub grass. A covered veranda stretched around the front and sides, and every wall featured large, floor-to-ceiling windows.

Peacemaker could easily guess why the healing center had been built here, on a hilltop overlooking the sea. Being able to feel the sunshine, look out at the ocean, and breathe the fresh air must have been a great comfort for sick or injured dragons.

But not today. Today the sky was overcast, the sea was stone-gray, and all the curtains on the windows were drawn. Pale smoke rose steadily from the chimney, smelling sharp and bitter as it mixed with the briny sea air.

The four dragons landed on the veranda, shaking the water from their scales and letting their aching wings droop at their sides. Seeker took a deep, quivering breath before knocking once on the big wood door. The door opened just a crack before a NightWing smelling heavily of herbs and honey squeezed out onto the veranda with them.

"Jewelheart!" Seeker said.

"Seeker!" the healer exclaimed. "Thank goodness! I was afraid you wouldn't make it in time."

Seeker stepped back, stumbling as though a great weight had suddenly thudded down onto her shoulders. "Is ... is he really that bad?"

The healer's silence spoke volumes.

"I don't understand," Seeker said, "how could he have gone downhill so quickly?"

Jewelheart's brows knitted together in confusion. "So quickly? But Seeker, he ... he's been sick for so long."

Seeker blinked, knowing the truth, but not wanting to believe it. "But he told me ... he said he was getting better."

Pity washed like a crashing wave over Jewelheart's face.

Seeker dropped her gaze. "He lied to me ... and I believed him. I wanted so much to believe him."

Peacemaker pressed himself to Seeker's side, her scales as cold as stone against him.

She looked up at the healer pleadingly. "What's really been going on?"

"His condition has worsened over these last couple of months," Jewelheart replied. "We limited him to only light exercise about three months ago, and then about five weeks ago he started having trouble getting around. That's when we moved him here to the healing center. We've been trying everything we can to help him, but an infection seems to have taken hold in his lungs, and he's just not strong enough to fight it."