Chapter 7: you look awful

Morgan Sinclair

I wiped away the dried tears that crusted on my face courtesy of the night before, I sleepily walked over to the bathroom attached to the bedroom. Looking at myself in the mirror- I looked as drained as I felt. I slept for about 10 hours but the dark circles under my eyes say otherwise. My puffy eyes lined with red, pale sickly complexion, and chapped lips all contributed to the external representation of how I feel on the inside- a mess.

I splashed some cold water on my face hoping it'd wake me up- either from this fever dream or enough to be a functioning member of society. Unfortunately it did neither.

About an hour after I woke up, Kellan and Victoria came into the room as I sat on the edge of the bed.

"Hey, you alright?" Victoria asked, it was impossible for her to sound more disinterested saying those three words. Kellan slowly turned his head with a pointed glare. "Whitlock told to come in and ask if she was alright, that's exactly what I did."

Kellan shook his head at Victoria's unwavering apathy. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, really." I said with feigning enthusiasm, praying it was convincing enough so they'd leave. It definitely wasn't.

Kellan started walking into the room, "Any questions you have, you know-."

"I know." I exhaled deeply. "I'm sorry, please don't take this the wrong way but I really wanna be left alone. I do have questions but I don't think I can handle any more answers right now." I said. "Just give me the day to... regroup."

"Perfect. I have to be in New York anyway." Victoria remarked, promptly walking out of the room.

"Okay. Anything you need though, we're just out here." Kellan said with a soft smile.

"I know. Thank you."

I did get the day. A much needed day. I couldn't handle any more bombs being dropped on me. The only interaction I had after that was Chloe bringing in lunch and dinner for me- apparently she cooked, which is amazing but I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was getting more and more nauseous with every bite.

I knocked out at about 8:00pm after a whole day of feeling extremely tired, nauseous, and not having a single thought. I wanted the day to regroup, to go over things, think things through but instead I got nothing- which arguably was better. Nicer, at least I got a small break.

I wake up now to the aftermath of Chloe spilling a whole cup of hot coffee on herself.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck." Chloe whispers to herself over and over, running to grab a towel from the bathroom as she winces from the burns coating her arm, and part of her chest and neck.

"Are you okay?" I slowly sitting up in bed.

Holy shit.

Just sitting up felt like it took all my energy.

A couple of days ago I'd think I was developing DKA but since my diabetes isn't real I have no idea anymore. Chloe walks out of the bathroom with a towel. "Oh God, I'm so sorry if I woke you." She bends down to wipe up the remainder of the coffee off the floor. "I put the mug down and tried to close the blinds but the sun and all." She rambles a little. "I hit the mug- I caught it, it was just upside down."

"You're okay though?" I ask, rubbing my eyes in an attempt to wake myself up.

Even speaking is tiring. Why is everything tiring right now?

"Oh yeah, my workout wasn't enough I needed some burns from the sun and scalding hot coffee to really wake me up." Chloe smiles, walking over to the end of the bed- her wounds already healed. "How are you feeling?" She asks while her eyes frantically examine me.