Chapter 26: mistakes and apologies

Morgan Sinclair

For the past hour Dane and I have been sitting and reading at our daily meetups in the library. Except yesterday, I gave him the day to be alone given how stressed he was after my night out. Today though, I needed my escape.

He has said that this would be good for assisting in regulating myself emotionally. A hobby or something that calms me down whenever I feel twitchy or I'm losing control. I'm twitchy nearly all the time so the daily trips here have been nice but distractions like this aren't a permanent solution only a way to help out for minor things. He's right, for major things when too much emotion comes on too quickly I can't go read a book or sing a song in my head.

But I really love it here, hanging with Dane and getting to read. I wish this place had music though. It does but only older records and as much as I love all music I need my specific playlists. Especially lately. I need to listen to songs that reflect whatever I'm feeling and I feel like Tutti Frutti by Little Richard wouldn't exactly match up to my current mental state.

Whatever, hopefully soon I'll have access to my music. Along with not believing in the word comfort, this place doesn't believe in anything post the 1980s. There's one tv in the living room but the buttons on it are broken and there's no remote so it's only the weather channel 24/7.

"What's up?" Dane asks noticing my eyes wandering around the room.

"Just thinking. If this library didn't exist I'd actually lose my mind here." I say continuing looking around. The vast room of four walls, each lined with hundreds of books upon the mahogany shelves, and a huge unlit stone fireplace in front of Dane and I sitting in large leather wingback chairs.

He looks around briefly. "Not a fan of the dull grey concrete everywhere?"

"Not particularly." I laugh. My eyes zone in on the rounded flat top ring he's brandishing on his finger. "When'd you get that ring?"

He glances down at his hand tilting it forward enough so I can see the engraved lines- three almost triangles, like mountains or something. "I normally wear it around this tiny chain but the chain broke this morning. So it's here until I get another one." He says. "It's from Chloe, she gave it to me after I complained about only having my one High Royal ring." He smiles bittersweetly.

"That's cute." I say then another question pops into my mind, one I've been thinking of out of curiosity but have been a little preoccupied with more current events. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." He says.

"So the Fallen. I know they... fell before the war with the celestials or something but what exactly happened? I mean why turn them into vampires?"

He sits up straight in his chair and closes his book. "There were originally 15 of them. To avoid things like Nephilim from happening Celestials weren't allowed to leave their hidden cities unless it was to visit another city. Kendrick and Luciens cities used to be relatively next to each other, Luciens in Greenland and Kendricks in north eastern Canada so they had their little section of the world. The 15 of them found a secret way out of either Lucien or Kendrick's cities without being detected. They'd meet up and go hang around the humans anywhere in the world, one was a powerful celestial witch so they could teleport anywhere. For some it was just a genuine fascination, for others they loved how humans viewed them as gods. They got a power trip from it but that half wouldn't tell the other half. They were all under the impression that they just liked humans and the mundane- little human things they did."

"Did they not do anything normal like that as celestials?"

"No. Celestials were very stoic creatures. There was no romance and love, or sunbathing, or relaxing, or laughing with friends. It was like everyday was a day in the office for them. Even having a child was pretty much a business proposal."