Just the Maid

"Commander," Hunter greeted Cody with a smirk, clasping hands. The rest echoed Hunter with, "hello, Commander," "'omander". You nodded to him with a small smile, taking your spot around the holotable. He looked tired. More so than usual. The war had expanded further, and the outer rim was starting to feel far less "outer". Cody probably got a lot of the brunt of it, especially when they worked with the 501st. You had heard rumors of the great General Skywalker. The stories rivaled those of your squad.

Crosshair and Tech filed in, standing on either side of you. Crosshair leaned back against the wall, slipping a toothpick inbetween his lips. You resisted the urge to reach up and pull it out just to fuck with him. You bumped your hip into his, and he raised one eyebrow, unimpressed.

"Wha' have ya got for us now, Commander?" Wrecker grinned as Cody turned on the holotable.

You tore your gaze away from Crosshair's smug look as he hip checked you back to the hologram. A young woman stood there, frozen. It wasn't a transmission, but a picture. She was young, but not terribly so. She looked to be about your age. She was wearing casual, but athletic clothes, her hair thrown up in a messy bun.

"This operative is deep undercover on Wontrock," Cody said. Your throat tightened. "Obviously, it's deeply Separatists. She goes by the name Pelu."

You squeezed your thumb in your fist. You didn't like where this was going.

"She was making her way up the chain, trying to figure out how they were getting the mass of their weapons in and out of the planet. Her cover was blown. We got a hurried and panicked transmission from her letting us know last night, but we haven't been able to reach her since," Cody pressed a button, bringing up a picture of the planet. It was just like you remembered. Dark clouds swirled across the sky, deep landmasses underneath them, surrounded by cold water. A red, blinking dot appeared on the map. "This is where she was last confirmed to be. She has incredibly important information about the operations on the planet. I need you to get her out."

Tech squinted. He reached to adjust the brace on his leg, a habit he had gotten into. You watched his hand slide over his armour to find nothing, and he shook his hand out before taking a step towards the picture. He had gotten the brace off two days ago. He wasn't used to not having it yet. "Do you know who is holding her?"

Cody pressed another button, and the planet and woman fell away, as another figure appeared. Your breath hitched in your chest. It was him. "This man. He runs most of the operations on the planet. His name Dreks, and -"

"That's not his name."

Cody froze, his gaze flicking to you. "Excuse me?"

You crossed your arms across your body, suddenly hyperaware of all the eyes on you. "His name isn't Dreks. It's Voras."

"How do you know that?" Tech frowned at you.

You took a deep breath. "I'm from Wontrock. And so is he," You cast your eyes back to him. He was dressed in pretentious, black and red robes, but you could see that he had made them to hide weapons in his coats and layers. Some things never changed. "Knowing him, he probably actually runs everything Separatist on the planet."

"Knowing him?" Hunter crossed his arms, studying you. This wasn't a side of you he had seen before. You were quiet, but not the normal listening quiet. This was different. This Voras was different.

"He's cunning, ruthless, violent," You let your eyes slide up to the face of the hologram. He had a large scar across his face. Good. "He poisoned his own father to take power of his empire on the planet. Clearly he's expanded it."

Cody's eyes flicked to your badge, and the number on it. You were of high rank, and you couldn't lie your way to the top. You were smart enough to, but it went against everything he knew about you. He had spent enough time with people who had been affected by the horrors of war to recognize your behavior change. You had gone into a subspace of self protection. "And you know this...how?"