| 5 |

CHAPTER 5

"Up." Maeve uttered simply and the broom obeyed her command.

It softly lifted off the ground with poise and went straight into her open palm. She slowly mounted the broom and used her left heel to kick off just a slight. She no longer closed her eyes or anticipated if she's going to fall, the broom just slowly rise up bringing her body a few inches above the ground, hovering with stability.

"Very good, Ms. Whitlock. Your stance is impressive." Madam Hooch looked at her with a beaming smile before she turned to the next student.

Maeve's heart swelled at the compliment. All the secret training she spent with Eli finally paid off. She did not know why she loved flying so much, maybe it's because Eli had hypnotised her with far too many stories about quidditch and soaring above the clouds.

After the incident on the train, Maeve confronted Eli in the Slytherin common room where all he did was laugh at her face. He placed an arm around her shoulders and ruffled her hair saying that she was a 'feistier copycat of me'. It's true. Most professors have told her that much as well. When she asked where he was throughout the journey on the train, his face fell. He told her he was only lounging around with other fifth years preparing talking about the quidditch season. Maeve did not pester him more and handed him the galleons.

She now waited for the other students to complete the task while being checked on by Madam Hooch. It was one of the classes that only consisted of Slytherin and Gryffindors so Tessa and Esmeralda were off with their own classes. It was in classes like this when she felt out of place. She still wondered if the sorting hat only placed her into this house purely due to her pureblood status. She clearly did not belong.

Maeve took the time to survey the row of students in front of her and somehow she was intrigued by the legend himself, Harry Potter. A shy, frail young boy no taller than she was. His round glasses hung by the edge of his nose as he commanded his own broom to his hand and it followed him obediently. His boyish grin was charming nonetheless. Maeve zoned it on his forehead that was covered by strands of dark hair. She really wanted to see if the scar was indeed in the shape of a lighting.

Her attention was caught to the boy of Potter's right, who was staring at her with pure disgust. As if it was a sin to be looking at the boy who lived. She rolled her eyes at Malfoy, but also noticed that his broom too followed his orders and his stance on the broom was as good as Eli. Malfoy boasted a few times that he was sure he would get a position as the team's Seeker next year and Maeve wanted to laugh at his face. He would need to fight her for it.

She watched Malfoy for a minute longer. The way his hair was slicked back, prim and proper. His pointy nose and his silver eyes sparkled as his friends applauded his skills. Not to mention that there were some small freckles that decorated his cold cheeks. And rings. He always wore rings even though they were clearly too big for his fingers. She wondered if it meant something to the Malfoy family because she noticed Lucius Malfoy wearing them too.

Cursing herself for watching the boy that made her life a living hell for Christmas Holidays she placed her broom back on the ground and practiced summoning it repeatedly, each time with absolute ease.

"How are you doing it without so much as a thought?" said a timid voice to her right.

She did not know who his name was but he was wearing Slytherin robes. His dark brown hair had a strip of bright green highlights that parted to the side that complemented his green eyes. He tried saying 'up' repeatedly with such anger the broom lifted up with speed that gave him a black eye.