| 9 |

CHAPTER 9

"Crap, crap, crap!" Maeve was practically out of breath as she sprinted down the empty corridors in the dungeons, making a swift turn towards the potions class. It was one of those classes with Slytherins and Gryffindors combined so neither Esme or Tessa could realize she was late. In her defence, the far right section of the library was an ideal location for an afternoon nap. At this point she could only hope her ponytail was still intact because her tie was in her hand crumpled and loose.

Everyone jumped when she swung the door open and she grimaced. The clock showed that she was 15 minutes late and Professor Snape had started writing down a few formulas and he too frowned at her presence. She half expected either a hex sent her way or simply the door shutting at her face by magic. Instead he turned to face her completely and laced hands against his chest.

"Tardiness robs us of opportunity. Have you heard that before, Ms. Whitlock?"

"Forgive me Professor, but I was—"

Professor Snape grumbled, "Excuses are all the more reason for me to fail you in my class."

Maeve's eyes were now focused on her new dark brown boots that had a cute rim of fluffy brown fur. Her mother insisted that she wait for Christmas, when the snow would be suitable to wear, but she was too excited. Her father went home with them for her, he even bought one for Ei. He didn't take it with him to school though.

"Hair messy. Tie gone. Robe's wrinkled and lopsided. Do I even want to know what you were doing during your free period?" Maeve groaned at the Professor's words. He made it seem like she did something unworthy or even robust. She was simply napping for Merlin's sake. Her muscles were screaming at her to rest. 

"She probably went wrestling with Mrs. Norris. Bet the cat won and looks better than her." Draco Malfoy just had to open his mouth. To him this was comedy gold and his time to shine served on a silver platter, like all of his things in life. The whole class snickered and gawked at Maeve who was still standing by the open door.

"A two week detention for you Ms. Whitlock. Find a seat if that is not too hard for you." He glared at Malfoy, "for opening your mouth and further disturbing the class you get two weeks as well Mr. Malfoy. Might I suggest thinking before you speak some other time."

Rosier waved at her, signalling the empty seat left empty beside him. Maeve sighed in relief but cursed internally when she found out it was right in front Malfoy's seat. She had no other choice but to comply.

"Was the nap extra long?" Rosier whispered.

"Did you steal Madam Pomfrey's sleeping draughts?" It was Malfoy again chiming in from behind. Zabini chuckled beside him, his pathetic little minion.

Rosier held her arm, preventing something catastrophic no doubt. Maeve gasped slightly and took a good look at him. His bright green highlights are starting to fade into a light brown. And the grin he was sporting made something flutter deep inside

"Here." He handed her a small clear vial with a golden clasp filled with green liquid. "We're partners now. We were asked to examine this Wiggenweld potion."

"Professor Snape didn't say anything about partners. Don't make things up, Rosier." Maeve wanted to elbow Malfoy right there and then but settled for a death glare instead. Hurting him here would just prolonged their detention.

Malfoy stared at her with equal hatred. She knew why he was pissed off at her more than he was supposed to. Two weeks of detention meant two weeks off the pitch for quidditch practice. Since tryouts are in exactly two weeks, it meant they had no time left on a broom.