| 8 |

CHAPTER 8

"I should've known not to put them all in the same room for detention." Professor Snape grumbled as he held the charm classroom door open.

"I'm afraid you're right, Severus. They did perfectly fine for the past month. We have to separate them for next week." Maeve had never seen Professor Flitwick so angry before. Well they did ruin his classroom. In her defense, as always, Malfoy's minions started it all.

Spending Fridays and weekends at detention was considered an abomination for anyone. Countless scrubbing, stacking, cleaning, writing down lines. Eli was having so much fun rattling her out to their parents and he indulged in his daily mockery. Only one month left in the school year and Maeve could only hope she would spend the rest making up for lost fun time. But today's fire incident might just cost them all of their remaining freedom.

"It's Holden's fault Professor." Crabbe blatantly pointed a finger towards her friend. To Maeve's own surprise this time Malfoy and her didn't cause any trouble. It was Goyle that started to joke around with Esmeralda's hair as they were tasked to scrub the tables and chairs of the charms classroom. Esme finally snapped and no one knew what spell she was going to jinx Goyle with but the charm hit the table with an outburst of colors that ignited a bright orange flame.

Malfoy was the one to smother it down. It was a distracting sight to see him act all heroic and not brag about it for once. Maybe it was because his fear was too palpable as he grabbed the curtains from the back of the room and draped it gently over the fire, then he sent a water spraying charm all over to ensure the fire was dead. Maeve kept staring at him ever since.

"Back to your common rooms. At once." Professor Snape simply sighed.

The first years looked at each other, eyes glancing around, unsure of what to do.

"That's it, Professor? We can just go back?" Maeve finally spoke.

"I suggest you leave before Professor Flitwick has more to say and you all might just regret opening your mouths." His voice was still flat and bitter.

None of the students dared to say anything more.

------

Maeve kept a reasonable distance behind Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle as they made their way to their dormitories. As much as she tried to look away, she found herself staring at the back of Draco Malfoy's head. Traces of soot lined a few strands of his bright blonde hair. When he turned to look at Crabbe, his right cheek and small nose was peppered with tiny cuts and miniature bruises. It must have hurt a little.

The trio was talking about the meeting, soon to be held at the Malfoy Manor. Something Maeve had been told by her parents some time ago. Her mother mentioned in their weekly letters that it is something worth remembering and it will be a hallmark event for their family. She then told Maeve to keep an eye out for Eli, because ever since the news of the meeting broke out he had been nothing but a reckless wreck. Maeve was called upon three times to come see him in the hospital wing, the last one was because he had a fight at Hogsmeade and his head needed stitches.

"You can tell me anything, Eli. You know that." She told him once as she helped clean his bandages back at the Slytherin common room. Maeve hated the numbness in his eyes and the way he held no more charisma. The brother she admired and cherished crumbling into dust in front of her very eyes. Something deep in her heart whispers that this must be related to the Malfoys. Something that correlated to her family's new position in the social platform. No matter how thankful she was, it was not worth having her brother break down and change for the worse.