| 6 |

CHAPTER 6

Eli stormed into the hospital wing with his anger like boiling hot water. Madame Pomfrey gave Maeve a look of sympathy as he passed by and stood at the foot of her bed. His chest was heaving as his eyes wandered around her. He spotted the small cuts and bruises around her arms and cheek. The worst part was her right wrist bandaged with thick gauze. Apparently the force of Malfoy's weight as he held on to it managed to sprain it a little.

Maeve shrunk a little more into her bed and covered her face with the white linen blankets, not ready to face his wrath of worry.

"Maeve Ophelia Whitlock, don't bother hiding from me." Eli gave her a warning. She slowly peeked open to catch a glimpse of him. He was wearing his white button down untucked and his tie askew. His arms around his chest.

"I'm okay." She offered quietly.

"We know why I'm pissed off right now."

"Then blame him!" It was Maeve's turn to point a finger in Malfoy's direction. He was in a bed right next to her with a sprained arm and a few bruised ribs. Nothing that can't be fixed with a few potions and rest. They won't even have to spend the night at the hospital wing.

"Oh give her a break Mr. Whitlock, she was courageous. Without her help, Mr. Malfoy would end up with far more severe injuries." Malfoy scoffed and opened his mouth to say something that would probably result in more bickering but Madame Pomfrey cut him off. "You hush that mouth. You and I both know Ms. Whitlock saved your life or you might end up worse than Mr. Longbottom over there."

Neville Longbottom groaned at his name being mentioned. He was on the furthest bed away from them with fat bandages wrapped around his head. His eyes were closed like he was in deep pain and he clutched his casted right arm protectively. His left foot was also suspended in the air.

"What did I say about speed, Mae?" Eli stepped closer now hovering over her. He pulled on the sheets and placed it neatly around her waist. "What did I say about getting on a broom?"

Maeve sighed and played with her fingernails, anything that would avoid looking directly into eyes. "Even the greatest Seeker plays with careful precision, speed and bravery."

"And were you careful today?" Eli finally sat down beside her.

"I didn't think, I just reacted. He was going to fall to a really great height. I couldn't let a friend fall like that, I had to help."

With her reply, Eli's gaze softened and he ruffled her hair. Maeve smiled. She knew her brother wont stay mad for long. She was one of his weaknesses.

"Mother and father are going to chew me out on this." He sighed. "Be more careful next time, yeah?"

Maeve sat up as best she could and opened her arms for Eli to embrace her. There was always a calm she felt whenever her protective brother would watch over her. He was the one who taught her what a best friend truly meant, even if his annoying jokes would intertwine with his love for her.

"Oh but Eli, you should have seen how fast I went! I bet I broke our record!"

"Not fast enough to be a Seeker that's for sure." Malfoy mumbled loud enough for them to hear.

Call it instinct or pure reflexes when it comes to him, Maeve picked up the closest item her hand could reach, which in this case was a small loaf of bread on her beside table and flicked it across. It hit Malfoy straight on the side of his face. Chocolate sauce sticking onto his face, splattering his cheek then his bedsheets.