Puppeteer

REVERSE POV

Left turn down the hallway. Alexandra Hepburn, human species from britain here for a mission to save her lover.

Right turn in the room.

On my 12 o clock, aged 98 in chimaera years and 15 in human, a caricature here to earn money as a cafeteria waiter for his sick mother back home.

On my 6 o clock, a beautiful alien girl, whose identity card number, place of birth, hobbies I have the advantage of holding in my mind. Her birthday is 9 months and 7 days away.

Approaching me to offer what is her poorly selling home-made recipes, Yaya Yah, alias Hannah, born 2006, August 5, powers being gravity manipulation - I now know everything about her down to the very coffee store she frequents every Friday on 6 in the afternoon.

Hacking into TAPOP's systems has been the best decision I have made in a while.

*

"Hey, Rev..." My exhausted brother approaches me, yawning wide and tugging on my sleeve for something.

I don't know what he wants.

"Yes?"

"How do you wake up so early in the morning? I set alarms and all, but I always just wake up and turn it off without any realisation that I'll be late..."

I take a moment to consider what he's asking, and what I'll reply with. "And why are you so steadfast in wanting to wake up early in the morning?"

"You're young. Sleep in."

Boboiboy looks at me like I've grown a second head. "No way... I'll totally get scolded by Laksamana Tarung. He always yells at me so loud I think my eardrums will hurt."

"I can't sleep in, that's not really an option with him around."

I manage to catch myself before I open my mouth to offer to rip off Tarung's fucking head and mount in on my wall in a flash of rage.

Yeah, Admiral Tarung. I know about him, read his file. My perception of him is someone with his head up his ass so high that he thinks jumping at any opportunity to emotionally chew out my brother and his other friends is a "learning opportunity" for my baby brother.

I imagine myself choking him by the neck so hard that his skin turns green from the normal blue-grey, but I quickly recollect myself and redirect my focus to my waiting brother.

"With me around, it is. He gives you any trouble, come to me." Bold declaration, I'm aware, but Kaizo's much stronger than that Admiral and Kaizo is pretty much my casual sparring partner.

I know who I can take in a fight and who I can't, though there are very few.

My brother is strong. He would be able to triumph over the Admiral at his weakest, but the only thing stopping him from doing so is the drilled in desire to respect his elders and his strong morals, which I, thankfully or not so thankfully, lack.

I'd rip out that man's vocal chords so he'll never scold my brother again if he isn't careful around me.

"Continue to sleep in." I reach up to ruffle his hair again and he frowns grumpily at me. If he wasn't in fluffy white batman pyjamas', maybe he would've looked even the slightest bit threatening.

"That wasn't what I asked...." He complains, but it was what I answered, and so it was final.

.... My brother's hair is ridiculously fluffy, so I ruffle it up again just for good measure....

*

Boboiboy settles into bed next to me. It's afternoon, and he's never been crankier.

"I can't believe that dumb commander!"
"I just want to get a proper mission! Or else I'll go crazy!"