Four// Piper

Getting out of the car at my parents' place. I've missed this place so much; this is home to me. I forgot how much I have missed it here, until stepping foot here again.

My parents love this ranch, my father bought this horse ranch for my mother for their tenth wedding anniversary. My mom she grew up on a place like this one, she's a raider and she's a horse trainer. So this was the perfect place for them and where they wanted to raise their kids. And this place has always been home to me, sienna and Lottie.

My parents may live a comfortable life, but they are not snobs about it. My father wasn't born into money, he earned it with the help of my late grandfather.

The story goes that when my dad was in college, he saw this rundown small hotel on his way home from his nightshift at his job every night.

I remember him telling us that he drove pass that run down build for weeks, nobody wanted to buy it, nobody wanted to put in the work to restore it to its glory.

Then one day he went to his father told him his plan, that he wanted to buy and restore it and opened it up.

My grandfather thought he was crazy but he was his son and he believed in his dreams and saw how much hope he had for it. So he invested everything he had into the place with my dad and they became partners.

They bought and fixed it up themselves and eventually they reopened the placed. And on the grand opening that's when my dad met my mom but that's a story for another time...

Anyways the little hotel did so good over the years that my dad and grandfather bought another hotel, then a another and then a resort, then more hotels and resorts and even a few restaurants. All over the place some in the U.S some overseas. They turned one little hotel into a multimillion-dollar empire.

And I think he hoped one day his child or children would take over the family business. Don't get me wrong we all grew up knowing about business and how to handle a business, we spent our summers working with dad.

But I think as we got older dad saw that our passion wasn't for the family business, and he was okay with that. He wanted to show us the same support and help his father shown him for his dream.

Which is way when I wanted to start my own jewellery company, he gave me the money too and he helped start it up, which I will always be thankful for because without him Reagan jewels wouldn't be as successful as it is to this day if I didn't have his help.

He even did the same with Sienna's company. She owns her own cosmetics and fragrance line which is huge.

He helped us with our businesses and he helped grow them but I think secretly he still hopes one of us will take over the family business and there's still is a chance.

I mean Lottie is only modelling right now and honestly I don't think it's her passion, she started in her first photoshoot as a favour for Sienna when she needed a face for her new line and after that her career kind of took off from there.

But honestly if anyone loved our summers working with dad it was Lottie.

And even though Lottie is working part time as a model, she's all so studying to get her MBA in business, but dad still sees her as the baby of the family, his very little girl when she's not anymore, he doesn't take her seriously when she's brings up business and I think that hurts her.

That's how it was when I still lived in New York, maybe things have change since then, when I've seen or spoken to my sisters they've never mentioned any family funds so I think we're good.

Pulling out of my thoughts and walked up the steps to the front door.

Well, it's now or never I guess, I can't wait to see my parents but having to deal with all their questions and opinions is not something I am looking forward to.

Before I even have a chance to knock, the front door swings open and my mother comes running out with a massive smile on her face, my dad not far behind her.

"Oh! Honey I can't believe your finally home" Mom yelped in excitement.

"Hi mom" I replied returning her hug, before puling back and giving dad a hug too"

"We've missed you sweetheart" Dad whispers and kisses my cheek.

"I've missed you guys too" I tell them the truth because I have missed not seeing them every day like I once did.

"Come on inside" mom says dragging me gently into the ranch house, while dad follows behind us with my bags.

"So, what brings you back?" "Are you okay?" Mom fires questions at me as soon as I take a seat on the couch.

"Can't I come and visit my parents and my sisters?" I accused.

"Of course, you can Piper I think your mom and I are just surprised that's all"

"A good surprise....why didn't you tell us you were coming" mom says.

"I wanted to surprise you and it was a spare of the moment decision if I'm being honest" I tried to lie, but my mother looks at me with that mother knows all look that she has and crooks an eyebrow at me.

"I don't buy it, I know you Piper Elizabeth Reagan" she barks at me, staring her eyes on to me until I spill my guts like she used to do when I was kid.

"Fine I came back for my divorce finally" I admitted. Which gets their attention.

"What changed? Why now?" Dad asked now starting with his own questions.

Shaking my head and sighed, while lifting my left hand so they can see my engagement ring.

"Oh my god you're getting married" mom scrams and clips her hands happily.

"Yes mom. Ethan and I are getting married, but first I need Zane to sign the divorce papers and clearly my lawyer isn't getting the job done, so here I am"

"How do you feel about that?" dad says catching me off guard. Moving my eyes from mom as inspects my ring, to my father who looks concerned.

"How do I feel about what? Getting married again? Or seeing Zane?"

"Both honey, I just want you to be happy" nodding my head.

"I love Ethan I know that it's different, but it's still love-;" I cut off and stood up and walked up and down, by the fireplace just trying to take it all in.

"As for Zane I don't know how to feel about having to see him again, but I know that I need to do it, and this is the only way" I added.

"Okay Piper we're here if you need us" Dad replies.

Nodding my head and turned to my mother with stern look.

"And mom no announcements or no parties about my engagement" I warned.

"Why? we should celebrate" she argued.

"Because technically I'm still married and it's weird. And I need to speak to Zane first, he's an asshat but he's still Zane..." I sighed.

They both look at me sadly before mom stands and takes hold of my hands gently.

"Okay sweetheart no celebrating yet.... but eventually we will" she says.

"Thank you, mom, now can I please stay here for a few weeks while I sort out my life mess" I half joked.

"You don't even have to ask this is your home, I'll make some tea" Mom smiles and then walks off towards the kitchen.

Dad stands and pats me on the forearm and smiles at me.

"Welcome home Piper" he smiles too and then follows mom into the kitchen.

Letting out a deep sigh, just as my eyes catch a framed picture of me and Zane when we were kids, picking up and locked my eyes on photo.

Things were so simple back then, I can't fault mom for leaving pictures of these memorises up, she has pictures all over the house, she likes capturing memorises she always told us, 

"it's important to document them, so their always with us" And Zane was like a son to them back then.

Shaking my head and placed the photo back down before grabbing my bags and headed to my old room.

Yay...welcome home to me.