Seven // Piper

Walking into the law firm that my family has been with since before I was born. Today I am meeting with my lawyer, my timing is a little off because from the dates, my lawyer would have sent my divorce papers out last week.

I doubt that Zane has sign them, but I girl can still dream right...

"Come on in Piper" Snapping out of my thoughts at the sound of the voice.

Looking up to see my old friend Avery and smiled. I went to high school with Avery, we ran in the same circle and when I heard that she was working here as a lawyer, I asked her personally if she could handle my divorce, seeing as she knows me, but she also knows him as well.

"Hi, Avery how are you doing?" I ask her politely as I take as seat in her office.

"I'm good thanks. So, this is a shock, I wasn't expecting you back in New York anytime soon"

"I know honestly, I didn't see myself coming back here either. But I'm getting married-;" I answered, Avery looks at me and smiles.

"First of all, congratulations. And second is this why your back in person? In case it goes to court?" She says to me, nodding my head.

"Yes. Please tell me that by some miracle the divorce papers that were sent out last week. Are sign and sat on your desk right now." I replied.

I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that by some small miracle that Zane has had enough with this dance of ours and sign those documents last week and this whole marriage nightmare is officially over with but knowing Zane the way I do, I probably have more chance of seeing a unicorn.

"I wish. He's a frustrating little bastard I'll give him that. Normally I would just get them back torn in half, this time he put them through a shredder with a sticky note attached to it with a smiley face on it". You must be a saint to have married him" Avery announces.

"No just an idiot, I guess-;" I sighed and looked at her, before adding,

"So what now? How the hell do I get this divorce?"

"Honestly Piper we might have to fight dirty in court with a lot of evidence to support infidelity on his part, to get a judge to grant you the privilege of a divorce" She answered.

"That is what I wanted to avoid. How would we even get that proof. It's my word against his" I replied.

"What about the other woman? Do you know who he had the affair with?"

Shaking my head and sighed, I hate thinking about that morning. I hate the images that still haunt me as I walked into our bedroom to see that.

My husband, who was also my best friend and the love of my life. Naked in our bed, with a naked woman sleeping next him. A smirk plastered on his face, like he just won a prize. That is something that I will never forget.

"No, it's possible it could have been someone that worked for him at his family company. Zane took over just before we got married, he's not very bright maybe see who his assistant was around that time" I said with a hint of sarcasm.

"I know going back to that part of your life is hard. I hate that I might have to drag all of this up in open court, it's not right especially for you. But Zane has a lot of pull and the Halstead have friends in high places. This is going to be more of a war than anything else, are you ready for that? Because no doubt about it this is going get ugly for everyone involved" Avery explains.

"Everyone has asked me the same damn question. Zane has had enough of my life and my heart. He destroyed us... not me and I'm sick of paying the consequences of his actions. I'm ready to fight" I answered with the truth.

If I have to play dirty, then so be it. If I need to find every skeleton that is hidden in his closet, then so be it. I will uncover everything I possibly can to prove in open court, how he cheated, how he broken our vows and how much he destroyed me, then that's what I will do.

For years after his betrayal, I was in hell, but I'm all glued back together now. And it's about time he experienced the pain and suffering he put me through.

Zane Halstead doesn't get to keep dictating my life, he won't have that power over me anymore...I won't let him.

"Well in that case... it's game on" Avery announces with a smile.

Oh, it's definitely game on, Zane won't see me coming.

~~~

A liltte short chapter, before the drama starts.

hope you enjoy!