Nine// Piper

This is by the far the stupidest thing I have ever done in my whole life. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to confront Zane at his office.

Honestly yesterday when I left Avery's office after agreeing to fight him in court, I thought that it was the right course to take, but the more I thought about it after the more it turned my stomach.

Because I don't want to hang out all of that history and pain in-front of Zane and in a public court for god's knows how long and knowing Zane he will drag and fight this for as long as he can.

Which to be honest doesn't sound fun and I don't know  why he would fight so hard with me about this. He was the one who threw away what we had together. He was the one to destroy us.

And whats even worst is in the divorce I'm not asking for anything from him. He loses nothing by signing the papers, so I don't know why he doesn't let me go.

If it all goes to court it's lawyers, it's judges, it's arguments and bitterness. It's proving one another's point, it's our failure of a marriage being processed by the courts stating that we couldn't make it work. That our love wasn't enough to save.

Fuck! It really is stupid to be here, my sisters are going to have my ass when I tell them this story.

"Mr. Halstead will see you now" The little blonde who I met a few minutes ago tells me. Rolling my eyes....oh thank you, your highness.

"Great, lead the way Barbie" I mumbled.

I don't mean to be rude or bitchy but seeing the college aged assistant pisses me off and just proves that Zane Halstead hasn't changed one bit at all, considering his last college aged assistant was the woman I saw in my bed with my husband three years ago.

The girl pushes open the door for me and waves me in. Taking a deep breath and stepped through the threshold of the devil's lair.

Letting my eyes linger on the door as it clicks shut behind me, it's only then I move my eyes ahead of me.

"I can't believe you're really here"

Closing my eyes at the sound of his voice, a voice that I haven't heard in years, a voice that used to whisper in my ear that he loved me every night. A voice that has hunted me.

Nodding my head and straighten my back, opening my eyes and turned to face him.

"Zane" I addressed him and moved a little closer to his desk, but still kept a good distance between us.

Moving my eyes over to my husband and let them linger for a moment. He looks different more broken, tired even, he's older now too, but he still just as handsome and my heart still breaks as I look at him.

"Please sit down Piper" He says breaking me out of my thoughts, shaking my head and took a step back.

"I didn't come here to catch up Zane, I came to ask you what the hell your playing out with our divorce" I hissed at him. Zane sits back on his chair and looks at me.

"I don't know what your talking about, I'm not playing at all" He argued with a smugness in his tone.

"You're so full of shit. I want a divorce, a simple one. I don't want to have to fight this out in court, you broke us, you owe me this Zane" I pleaded with.

I watch as emotions flicker through his features, before he pushes away from his desk and stands up and locks his eyes with me.

"I know what the fuck I did Piper, I don't want a divorce , I want a conversation with my wife" He grits at me.

Without thinking moving closer to him, close enough that my legs bump against his glass desk. As I stare him down, the nerve of this man, I always knew that Zane was a asshole, I just never thought he would play dirty with me like this.

"I haven't be your wife in years, not since you couldn't keep your pants on and your mouth shut" I yelled at him, knocking over the crap on his desk as I waved my hands in anger.

"It's not what you think Sunshine-;" He sighed, letting out a chuckle and shook my head at the fact he has the cheek to call me the nickname he has alway called me, especially after how he hurt me.

"Don't call me that, you don't get to call me that anymore. And again you are full of shit, because thats what every cheating asshole husband says to their wives. Sign the papers Zane"

"NO!" He yelled at me. Picking up the glass trophy and threw it at him, Zane ducks just as it bounces off the wall and smashes into several pieces next to him.

"Are you fucking crazy" He hissed at me, stepping around the desk and over the broken glass so I can face him.

"Our marriage is like that broken glass Zane, it can't be fix so I'm asking you to let me go" I said to him, pleading with him to just finally walk away from all of this. So we both can fully move on and put this chapter behind us once and for all.

Zane steps toward me, no space left between us anymore.

He doesn't say anything for a moment, gently he places his hand of the side of my face, shaking my head as I feel his touch.

"I can't let you go Piper, you're my everything" He whispered in my ear.

Closing my eyes for a moment and just breathed, opening my eyes and pushed myself away from, his hand drops from my cheek.

"I'm not your anything anymore Zane, I can't be-;" I said and started to walk back to the door, coming here was a mistake.

Zane won't do the right thing because its not what he wants, Zane alway gets what he wants, has his whole life, which means now it's court and I'm going to have to fight him. I talked a big game with Avery but the truth is I'm terrified of being around him again, because he says I'm his everything, the truth is he was my everything. He was my protector, my best friend, the love of my life.

Even though he broke my heart and hurt me in ways that leave a scar, it doesn't mean the feelings that I felt for him are gone, over the years I just learnt to live with them until they fade.

Being around him is hard, it hurts because he was all the things to me.

Snapping out of my thoughts and turned back around to look at him one more time.

"I'll see you in court Zane"

And with that I walked out of his office with my head held high, ready for battle.