Eight// Zane

Climbing into my town car, slamming the door behind me. Today has been a clusterfucker of a day, and it's only just bloody started.

First there's any email saying, that someone is messing with the accounts of clients.

Then there was a breach in our security system, tankful I have the best tech guys working for me and they couldn't break through.

And then I got a call telling me there's a problem at one of our facilities.

I swear a headache is forming and it's not even nine o'clock in the morning yet.

It's a good job my company is all about making whisky, vodka, scotch because after today I'm definitely going to need a strong drink.

"Where to sir?" My trusted driver Baker asks me, Baker has been with my family for years, he knows me and he always knows my parents. Out of everyone who I have working for me, there's only two people I trust Baker and my cousin Conrad, who is basically like my brother.

He's my second hand guy at the company, if I'm not there he is making sure everything runs smoothly.

"Straight to the office please Baker" I grumbled and rubbed my temples.

When I took over for my father four years ago, I never imagined it would be like this. I was so different back then, my life was was different back then.

My father built Halstead's from scratch, it was his dream build something with a legacy, he's father and grandfather taught him how to make and blend the perfect blend of whisky and bourbon when he was just a kid.

After they passed my father, he took all of that knowledge that they taught him and he made it into something great.

Halstead's has been making whiskey, bourbon and scotch for over thirty years. It went from one tiny little factory to another and then another and so on from there. In some ways we're still a small company but it's a family business.

And our business is growing and our name is known, our bottles are luxurious.

Pulling out my phone and pressed Conrad's name on my most recent calls. And waited for him to answer.

"Are you on your way in?" Conrad says as he answers my call, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Yeah. Are you already there?" I asked him.

"No I'm on my way to the factory to see what the hell the hold up is. And what the fucking problem is now" he gritted at me.

I can understand his frustration this isn't  our first time....or even are second time someone who works there is messing up royally. The first few times we let it slide because you know shit happens, you can control somethings.

But when it keeps happening then you know someone is neglecting doing their job right, and we can't afford all the mess ups anymore.

"This needs to end Conrad. Find out who isn't doing their job and fire them, enough is enough now" I hissed.

"You got it boss, I'll keep you updated" He replies and hangs up before I can tell him not to call me boss.

Technically I am his boss, but Conrad pretty much runs the company with me.

"We're here sir" I snapped out of my thoughts as I hear Baker's voice.

Looking over at him and nodded my head and got out of the car, heading into the building that is my office, a place I spend all my time now because the company is all I have left, there's nobody waiting at home for me anymore and I've got nobody to blame but my own selfish self for that mess.

Getting off the elevator to my office floor and headed there. Passing my assistant Keira on the way. Pausing at her desk and looked at her.

"Hold all of my meetings for today. Clear anything that you need too."

"Will do boss" She replied. Nodding my head and headed into my office and took a seat at my desk.

Today we need to do damage control. Especially with all the fucking issues that seem to be raining down on us.

This company is my legacy, I know my dad trusts me to do right by it. But that doesn't mean I'm not convinced that I'm doing what's best for it, I don't want to disappoint my father, this company was everything to him before mom and me. And now thirty years later, I know he's glad to step back and just spend time with our family.

My parents have their moments when they overstep and voice their opinions and concerns but it's always came for a place of love.

Which is why when they found out what I did to Piper, that was the only time I've ever seen disgust in my mother's eyes when she looked at me. And disappointed in my father's, it took a long time for my parents to forgive me for hurting Piper, someone who they've known since the day she was born.

Hell my parents and Piper's parents are best friends....or at least there were.

That's another relationship I managed to destroy along with my marriage.

I can't think of Piper right now, not when her new set of divorce papers showed up a few days ago, I had my lawyers send them back shredded this time around.

I'm not being rude or petty, there's a reason why I won't sign those papers.

I haven't seen or spoken to my wife in three years, not for my lack of trying. Piper has done everything she can to make sure I can't contact her.

I don't blame her, I don't blame her for anything. Back then we were just beginning, in our marriage, in our companies, we were both busy and were like two ships passing through each other in the night.

And because I felt like I was losing her, I believed the lies someone feed me. And by doing so I made a mistake, one that cost me the love of my life.

Snapping out of my thoughts as I hear the door of my office open. Looking up to see Keira.

"What is it?" I ask her, she takes a step in the office but keeps the door open.

"You have someone here who wants to speak to you" Keira answers with a concerned look on her face.

"I told you Keira no meetings today"

"I know I told her that but she's refusing to leave until she sees you"

Letting out a frustrated sigh and snapped my head back to her.

"Who the hell is it?" I demanded.

"She says she's your wife"

Holy shit....

~ ~ ~

Another new chapter upload.

I'm sorry for being AWOL, I hate only updated every so many months,

but It's the best I can do right now, which sucks so much.

anyways I really hope you enjoy the new chapter.

xx