SCENE 4

Clarice arrived at 2:35 p.m. As usual, she was late. Fortunately, the rush had not yet started. She entered the store and slid her backpack behind the checkout counter. Clarice also looked in the mirror to fix her outfit, which was similar to mine, a yellow blouse tucked into black pants, with the exception that she wore white low pumps rather than flats.

"Hey, Sunniva!" she exclaimed joyfully, dusting a few books with her right hand. Clarice was totally different from her mother, Aunt Visha. She's a sweet, charming, and understanding young lady. She is always in a good mood, which spreads throughout the shop. It's almost infectious. "Hey Clarice," I said with a smile on my face. "How did school go?" I stood in front of the cash register, waiting for customers. "It was fine," she continued. As usual, boring. You're lucky that you don't have to go."

"How come?"

"I just don't like it." I make sure I finish my work and am done for the day. I just want to go home and relax, but my parents require that we run this shop. I'm sick of it. We wouldn't have had to work at this doggone shop every day if the Ranust hadn't funded us." Clarice sighed.

The Ranust is a national organization that raises awareness about current events in the hopes of educating others. They are best known for their assistance in ghettos. Providing care and education to families who cannot afford it. The Belladonnas, Aunt Visha, Uncle Fallon, and Clarice are also favorites of the Ranust. The Belladonnas are known for their charitable contributions, their wealthy family, their beautiful mansion, and, last but not least, their book shop. They are well-liked in the town of Nighthorn. Aunt Visha and Uncle Fallon are constantly receiving donations for being an 'inspiration' to the community and the country as a whole.

Aunt Visha and Uncle Fallon never really included me or referred to me as family. "You do not have Belladonna's name or title," Uncle Fallon would say, and Aunt Visha would agree. "You have your father's surname, Hoku, and God only knows what kind of person he was." It's a good thing he was imprisoned. He had the potential to kill all of us. Every time I think of yo—I mean him—I get chills. "Don't ya' think your name, Sunniva Kamaria Hoku, is inappropriate for being called a Belladonna?" She continues on with a casual air.

"I, too, get tired. I had no idea they funded the family's bookshop.

"Do you know why?" I inquired as I stood behind the cash register, desperate for customers. I'm curious as to what's taking them so long.

"Well, my parents never really told me, but I believe it's because- " A customer enters openly. Interrupting Clarice and my conversation. Three more customers followed the first. 

The rush had begun.