CHAPTER 2- SCENE 4

It was now twelve o'clock in Nighthorn. I was in my room, getting ready to go out with Clarice for the day, but I was still at a loss from earlier. Clarice is a bright young lady, but her words, those words, made little sense. But for some strange reason, it stuck with me. That whole situation. The essence of the morning was euphoric, a sensation I had never experienced before. Then Clarice's words pushed me to discover my mother's and my own identities. The unspoken truth that the Belladonnas kept hidden. I'd like to find out more about my father as well, but I've never met him. I do not know what he looks like. Thank God I have a photograph of my mother and me from the day before she disappeared. I hardly ever look at it; it's still in the wooden frame under my bed. I'm sure it's gathered dust by now. I felt a black cloud hovering over my head the last time I looked at my mother, and it hasn't left since.

                                                                                               ***

The Belladonna's home was loud. Aunt Visha and Uncle Fallon were in the living room, blasting Ricky Nelson's Poor Little Fool and drinking Rothschild wine from the bottle. Typical drunks. They sang, laughed, twirled, and drank every second they could on the cold marble floor.

"Oh Fallon, just like the good ole days!"

Uncle Fallon passed the bottle to her. She took a gulp this time, and wine dripped from her mouth, leaving red splashes on the ground. They were dancing close to the coffee table, unconcerned about their surroundings. Uncle Fallon spun Aunt Visha around, luring her in for a kiss.

"You're right Hun, just like them."

"C'mon remember what I used to tell Ya?" Aunt Visha slurred her words as she flopped down on the sofa and stretched her leg out on the coffee table. She swung her arms to the side, spilling more Rothschild on the floor.

"What Hun?" Uncle Fallon was still dancing, by himself.

"It's almost time"

Uncle Fallon glanced at her, his eyes were tight and worried.

"Visha, not right now."

"Ah, Fallon. Ya know it's true, check the clock. It was insanely hot this summer."

"Visha... the kids will hear you settle down. Here you need your CBC. Let me go get that for you." Uncle Fallon turned the radio down and walked over to the kitchen cabinet.

Aunt Visha sardonically laughed.

"It is becoming faster and faster that is why it's happening to her."

"Visha please."

"And now they are coming back" she fixed herself on the couch swinging her feet back and forth.

"They are FUCKING-" she quickly stood up, swaying side to side.

"Coming back."

Uncle Fallon grabbed the bottle of CBC and ran to the living room.

"Visha, please take your medicine. They don't need to know."

"They know Fallon. They know. Look at our skin for Christ's sake!"

Uncle Fallon placed her medicine in her hand.

"Drink it."

"I am not drinking that shit, Fallon."

"I am not asking you, Visha, drink it now,"

"You only act like this when it's low."

Uncle Fallon locked eyes with Aunt Visha and squeezed her opposite hand.

She took a deep breath and swallowed her medication. They kept the medication in a small black glass bottle. She drank the entire serving in a matter of seconds. Aunt Visha placed the bottle on the coffee table. Strangely, they didn't break eye contact the entire time.

"It is Saturn's day Hun. Go get ready," His face grew a shallow smile. His piercing deep light brown eyes were powerful. He seemed to shoot lasers through her pupils.

"We should get our gift today," he said.

Uncle Fallon motioned Aunt Visha to their bedroom. As they made their way upstairs, Aunt Visha's calf brushed against the coffee table.

The glass bottle shattered onto the ground like it would in any home. Maroon flowed onto the marble floor diffusing a scent of a dry metal paper clip. The couple did not realize the mess they had created.

No one noticed me peeking behind my bedroom doorway.

Their words will be another message that will remain in my mind.

And there will be more days in the Belladonnas home.

"Hey Sun, are you ready?" Clarice asked.