001. The manor

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

The manor

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

Evelyn Rosewood hated summer, not because of the heat or her absence from friends, but because of her awful parents. As pure-blood supremacists, Evelyn's parents believed muggles and muggle-borns deserved no respect and were filth. It was difficult for Evelyn to agree with her parents' beliefs, and she sometimes voiced her own opinion, but the results were always disastrous. The Rosewood manor was huge considering their family was one of the most respected pure bloods under the Malfoys. The beautiful mansion featured six to ten rooms, an indoor pool, a kitchen, living areas, etc. Even so beautiful, Evelyn could never really call it home. She spent most of her time up in her room, near a window, looking out at the beautiful garden.

Meanwhile, James Potter loved summer; he would be at home with his lovely parents enjoying their company while his friends came over and had the time of their lives. His parents were the most precious things and he never took them for granted. Even, when Sirius had nowhere to stay after his parents kicked him out, the Potters were more than welcome to have him stay. Fleamont Potter loves playing quidditch with Sirius and James and would always burst out laughing when the boys became too competitive. They would invite Remus and Peter to stay with them every week, and Euphemia Potter's favorite thing to do was bake her boys little treats and supply them with her baked goods every couple of hours. They were loving people, which made their house always feel like home; James never had to worry about what he did or said, so at night when he was lying on his bed, he would often look out the window to watch the starlight and think to himself how lucky he was.

It was the last day of summer break and Evelyn was ecstatic to go back to Hogwarts. She had grown quite fond of that building and had started to miss it. Just like every morning, she awoke and then headed into the kitchen to request something for breakfast; she loved her house-elf and never treated her with any malice or disrespect; often when her parents weren't in the house she would help her with some of the chores. Evelyn believed that house-elves should never be treated any differently than wizards. She finished eating and walked into one of the living rooms to be greeted by her parents.

"Mother," Evelyn greeted

"Oh hello child, your awake I see, come sit," Lenora Rosewood patted a space next to her. Eva did what she was told afraid of what would happen if she didn't.

"So you're leaving for Hogwarts tomorrow and I just wanted to remind you of how you should behave, remember we have a reputation we must upkeep"

Of course, it's always about keeping up the good reputation and never about asking your child how she feels. Eva got quite used to it, on the last day of every summer, Lenora would sit down with her child and talk about keeping up her reputation; in the beginning, she was far more opinionated, but as time went on Eva learned to just smile and nod.