Chapter 10: Speak of the devil, and he arrives

Fate wasn't really ever on the boys' sides but sometimes, in cases like this particular one, it decided to really screw with everything.

Jason coming back lead to no one's excitement in particular, anyways. But then he decided to bring over an heir of another pack as a prospective mate for Namjoon.

Oh dear goddess did they all want to kill him?

"This is Jackson, youngest heir of the Wang clan– potential mate for Namjoon." All of them realized the amount of pain this was gonna be for everyone, Jackson included. Surely, this was not the way old friends expected to reunite.

"What the actual hell?" Jimin hissed quietly to Taehyung and Hoseok as they sat together in the library; their get-together place, as we can call it.

"You're asking me? He brought over Jackson hyung 'cause he knows it'll be a weak spot. Joonie hyung would never want to hurt a friend– ever."

Taehyung turned to Hoseok. "Say something, Hobi hyung..."

The eldest sighed, shaking his head. This was getting more and more complicated by the minutes and he had about absolutely zero idea on what to do to help it. Seeing Jackson in the state that he is– Jason is unaware, that is certain. And he was worried for their hyung; he knew the omega wouldn't take this well, if he had caught on. The shifter would be affected emotionally.

That turned out to be true. Remotely.

On the other hand, Seokjin had refused to make any interactions with anyone. Jungkook and Taehyung had practically begged him to come for dinner but he declined all attempts. So, at the end of the day, it was only Yoongi, Hoseok, Namjoon and Jackson at the dining for dinner. Jimin refused to be here, as goes for Jungkook because Taehyung also refused.

The atmosphere was tense and Yoongi's deathly silence in addition to his ice cold aura did little to ease the strain. The sounds were only of utensils hitting the bowls and of water being poured. Even the staff of the house were hesitant to approach anyone, or serve but they did anyways.

Jackson's hands were trembling; noted the second eldest. Hoseok nudged Namjoon gently and motioned towards the unfortunate beta; after all, they were the ones closely acquainted. Pack politics shouldn't devastate age old friendship.

"Hey." The beta lifted his gaze to meet his old friend's. "Hi."

"How've you been? And the pack?"

"All's well. As well as it could be with them." The response was bitter, distastefully uttered. "A pair of mates died– killed themselves. And I assume you can imagine why."

Everyone looked at Wang heir in discernible shock. It was prevalently known that barbarism in packs- while rare- was still a recurring phenomenon. Some packs were still dwelling in the unjust, uncouth ways of leading. But this- this was vile; absolutely sickening.

"Have you- Have you found your... mate, yet?" Yoongi asked shakily, breaking the inhospitable silence of the tragic words that hung in the air. It did not help. Seconds ticked by while the beta silently observed them all, yet to answer the question.

"I... am here for Namjoon, I believe. The question is irrelevant." He took another bite of food, breaking eye contact.

The rest of the dinner went by with excruciating silence, yet again. Yoongi did not appreciate the audacious response from Jackson. Hoseok remained lost in thought. And it was just too awkward for Namjoon to spark conversation with the beta, given the circumstances.

"I'm turning in for the night. Sleep with angels." Hoseok bid bye first, soon followed by Yoongi; he'd lose his temper otherwise.

Before either returned to their respective chambers, they all went to check up on Seokjin. Glad they did, because he wasn't doing the best. Jimin was worriedly sitting by their hyung's bed, while the eldest stared blankly out the window. Seeing Yoongi and Hoseok enter, the other three turned to them, along with Seokjin, himself.

"I don't know what's wrong with Jinnie hyung. He's acting like he spotted a ghost ever since he saw the Wang heir." Taehyung whispered softly to the two.

"Hyung, talk to us, please." He begged.

"We'll find a way out of this, you know that." Jungkook added firmly.

"Hoseok," The eldest addressed, eyes glistening. Everyone's heart dropped for they all realized what their Luna was about to say would not sit well, even though he only addressed one of them.

The said male moved to sit at the elder's feet, taking his hands in his own. He desperately tried to comfort the distressed omega but that was futile with his own trembling hands.

Seokjin had caught on, after all.

"The beta... Jackson– he's with child."

--------

Yes, I am alive. Here's an update tho, hehe~~