Chapter 8 - Reluctant Souls

Anastasya

"Anastasya; a word."
Anya groaned internally as Commander Sadies beckoned to her from where he waited on the wooden platform above the muster area. Next to him stood Levi, Furlan, and Isabel, now all wearing the standard Scout Regiment uniform. Levi had even opted for a white ascot, much to her amusement. It hardly fit with the image of 'Underground thug'. However, flicker of amusement aside, she was in a foul mood. She'd spent much of the previous night in the local tavern and had rather a sore head as a result, and she was still pissed with Erwin, unable to understand how he could've been so thoughtless. She ignored the Underground trio as she sauntered past whilst, on the packed dirt below the platform, the regiment was gathering to meet their newest members. She stopped before Commander Sadies and saluted. She knew the Commander had a soft spot for her, even going so far as to consider her to be like the daughter he never had. It gave her a licence to misbehave more than any other Scout but, as a result, he pushed her harder than most of the others.
"Yes?" she asked, dropping her salute.
The wrinkles in Sadies' tanned and weathered forehead deepened as he frowned.
"Were you in that damn tavern all night again?" he demanded.
She made a show of glancing left and right, before raising her brows and jerking a thumb at herself.
"Me? No, don't think so."
She was aware that while a strangely excited Furlan and Isabel stood watching the Scouts assembling below, Levi's piercing gaze was focused solely on her. She hoped Sadies wouldn't say anything to undermine her.
"Anastasya," he sighed. "Don't go getting yourself into trouble a-"
"-Are my drinking and gambling habits really what you wanted to talk about? Right now?" she interrupted.
Little did he know, she often went to the tavern to gather information for the regiment although, admittedly, last night had been less spying and more drinking.
"No, I suppose not," he grumbled. "We'll talk about that later."
She tilted her head skywards and briefly shut her eyes, this time unable to suppress her groan. She huffed and faced the Commander again.
"What do you want to talk to me about, then?"
"I wondered if you might like to have these three in your squad," he said, nodding to the Underground trio.
She flinched and whirled to glance between them and Sadies.
"Old man, I don't have a squad."
The Commander looked as though he were going to scold her for the old man comment, but after a few seconds appeared to decide against it.
"Anastasya, you're our best soldier. Do you not think it's time you became a Section Commander? Or at the very least, a Team Leader?"
"Absolutely not," she replied.
"But you're not even in a squad! You can't just float around-"
"I am," she interrupted. "Officially, I'm in Erwin's squad. It's just that I go where I'm most needed. Have I ever let you down?"
"No, but... I just thought you could take these three on, considering you have things in common."
She arched an eyebrow. "You mean because we've all lived in the Underground?"
"Wait, you lived there too?!" Isabel blurted from behind.
Anya briefly shut her eyes again before searching Sadies' gaze, willing him to reconsider.
"Please," she implored. "I don't want a squad."
At that moment, Flagon joined them on the platform.
"Is the princess throwing a tantrum again?" he teased.
Anya's hand shot out to grab him by the collar, so fast that none of them had time to blink. She dragged him closer, ignoring his protests and keeping a firm grip on him as he tried to wriggle free.
"I've got an idea," she said, her lips twisting into a devilish smile. "Put them in Flagon's squad."
"Anastasya."
She glanced to the muster area to see Erwin stood there frowning up at her. She immediately let Flagon go. Pissed at him as she might be, she had enough respect for Erwin not to embarrass him. After all he was the reason she'd been able to join the Survey Corps in the first place, and she was in his squad.
Sadies let out a deep, resigned sigh.
"Get into line."
She blew Flagon a kiss before jumping from the platform and taking her place behind Erwin and in front of Miche, while a rather ruffled Flagon went to head up his own line beside theirs.
"ATTEN-TION!" Sadies called.
Every single Scout saluted, then placed their hands behind their backs, standing to attention.
"From today, these three will be fighting alongside you all! Introduce yourselves!" Sadies shouted, before addressing the trio.
Levi, who stood in the middle with his arms folded, went first.
"The name's Levi," he said coarsely, a sneer twisting his lips.
Anya smirked as the others around her gasped at his blatant lack of respect.
"Levi... The first thing you'll need is some GODDAMN DISCIPLINE!" Sadies yelled, none of the softness he'd shown Anya there now. "Next!"
Isabel, who was shorter than Levi and wore her bright red hair in two messy pigtails, took a step forward.
"I'm Isabel Magnolia. Nice to meet ya!" she said with a fierce grin, jerking her thumb at herself.
"My name...is Furlan Church!" their friend said, saluting comically wrong.
"Flagon; these three will be assigned to your squad," Sadies announced, glancing at Anya. "Look after them."
"Really?!" Flagon exclaimed.
"Are you dissatisfied?"
"N-no, Sir. But, shouldn't Erwin-"
"Erwin is tasked with the soldiers' formation and doesn't have time to spare. The new recruits will be your responsibility. However as you might need some help, and she goes where she is most needed, Anastasya will assist you."
The smirk immediately dropped from Anya's face and morphed into the dourest look she could manage.
"Understood!" Flagon said, clearly trying not to laugh as he saluted.
After they were dismissed Erwin turned to her, amusement dancing in his icy-blue eyes.
"Serves you right," he said, his mouth twitching.
"Oh, shut up," she hissed. "You really wanted me to say yes to being in a squad on my own with three people who want me dead?"
"Hmm, you have a point," he said, none too seriously. "One day, though, you're going to have to take on some responsibility."
"Sorry, Erwin," said Flagon, swaggering over and throwing his arm round Anya's shoulders. "I'm going to have to drag Anya away. I need her help."
Erwin raised a hand to his face just before she grabbed Flagon by the wrist and twisted him into an excruciatingly tight armlock.
"You're going to be needing a doctor's help if you're not careful," she growled.
"Ow, ow, ow! Let me up!"
She relented, and he rubbed at his shoulder indignantly.
"I'll see you later," said Erwin, before walking away with Miche, who was grinning like an idiot.
Anya strolled over to the trio, who were standing there rather awkwardly, unsure of what to do with themselves.
"I'm Anastasya Morozova," she said, before looking at Levi. "I didn't catch your surname just now."
Of course, she already knew. However she was curious as to whether or not he'd answer her.
"Ackerman."
Flagon came over, not to be outdone.
"We'll take you on a tour of HQ," he said. "Finishing at the barracks."
They began showing them around, taking them to the stables first.
"You really need me for this?" Anya complained.
"Do you have something better to be doing?" Flagon shot back.
She did. Today was the day Erwin was going to visit Premier Zachary with the Commander in order to see if they could get permission for one more Expedition, this time using the new formation. The hope was that the apparent recruitment of their would-be assassins had forced Lovof to reconsider. Anya had planned on tagging along, though she suspected Erwin would've said no anyway.
"Yes, actually," she snapped.
"Like what? Getting drunk in the tavern? Fist fights? Frittering your money away?" Flagon replied.
"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were my dad."
They squabbled throughout the whole tour, but Anya didn't much care what impression she might be making on the trio, who followed behind at a distance as they tried to take everything in. They finally reached the barracks as the sun was going down. Flagon led the way into one of the rooms, Anya trailing behind them, all argued-out.
"These are the barracks," said Flagon, waving a half-assed hand in the air.
"There are quite a few," Furlan remarked.
"Yay! We're all in the same room!" Isabel exclaimed.
"Women have a separate section," Flagon said bluntly, dashing her enthusiasm in an instant.
"What?! But I wanna stay here!"
"You two guys will sleep up here," Flagon continued, gesturing to a bunk bed in the corner.
Anya once again thanked her lucky stars that she had her own room. The barracks were less than impressive. The beds were hard and uncomfortable, there was no privacy, and hardly any storage space. She looked around the dirty room with an unimpressed expression, folding her arms and leaning against a bunk near the door.
Levi strolled over to the beds and ran his hand along the underside of the top bunk. Dirt and dust crumbled from the worn wood and onto his hand.
"I know you lot have been living in the dumps of the Underground, but do try to keep the place clean," Flagon said.
Levi slowly turned to face him. Furlan and Isabel exchanged a worried glance.
"Huh?" he said, voice low and menacing.
Levi prowled over to glare up at Flagon. Anya, despite wanting to smack Flagon most of the time, went and stood next to him supportively, ready to intervene in an instant.
"W-what's with that look?" Flagon stammered. "How dare you approach a senior officer with that attitude-"
Furlan suddenly rushed between them, beating Anya to it.
"Sorry! Got it. We'll try to keep the place clean, Sir!"
He saluted clumsily, and Flagon tsked.
"You'll begin training first thing tomorrow. Got it?"
Flagon stormed from the room and Anya offered Furlan a smile, gesturing to his arm.
"May I?"
"Huh?"
She gently turned his fist round and tilted his arm to the correct angle.
"There," she said. "Now you're saluting properly."
"O-oh! Thank you!"
She had to admit Furlan was cute, with kind eyes and an easy smile. She regarded him a moment, before glancing to where Levi was now sulkily cleaning his dirtied hand with a handkerchief.
"Don't mind Flagon," she told them. "He's just a snob, and he's a stickler for following the rules. He's not a bad soldier when it comes down to it, though. You can learn a lot from him. There's a cupboard down the hall that has cleaning supplies in it, by the way."
She turned to leave, and then Isabel spoke.
"Why are you being so nice to us?"
Anya paused in the doorway.
"Dinner is at 7," she simply said, before walking away.

***

Levi

As soon as Anya was definitely gone, Furlan rounded on him.
"Levi! Don't go pulling any more stunts like that!" he scolded. "We've got enough eyes on us already!"
"Did you not hear what that piece of shit was spouting out of his piece of shit mouth?" he said darkly, scowling. "It's like shit calling shit dirty."
Furlan threw his arms up in despair.
"We weren't just caught by accident, you know. I hope you haven't forgotten why we're here, Levi."
"I hope you haven't, either."
"What's that supposed to mean?!"
Levi wasn't blind. He'd seen the way Furlan looked at Anya. Even Isabel seemed enthralled by her, and she was clearly going to present a significant challenge when they tried to kill her.
"Nothing," he muttered.
"No, go-" Furlan paused sharply when they heard a carriage arrive in the courtyard outside.
It seemed the big, blonde jackass had returned.
Levi had no reservations about killing him.