Chapter 17 - Sorrow and Solace

Levi

A lot of the families they visited wanted them to stay and reminisce about the ones they'd lost, and Anya was loath to deny them. As the hours went by Levi watched, incredulously, as she handled the grief and heartache that everyone displayed with apparent ease. She was kind, and calm, and she didn't let her own emotions burst through. She hugged people and reassured them that their loved ones had been heroes, and not once did she break down herself. However, Anya left one family until last, and Levi had already guessed which it was. As the rays of the setting sun bathed them in blood-red light, she held her list up against the side of a stone cottage and crossed the second-to-last name off, before folding it back up again and shoving it into her pocket.
"All right. The last family. They live here, in Trost."
They walked, having left their horses tethered elsewhere, up to the wooden front door of an unremarkable house. Anya took a deep breath and knocked. Moments later, a middle-aged man answered. News of the dead soldiers had already reached the families the day before, and his eyes were red raw, his expression full of sorrow.
"Anya," he said, releasing a shaky breath. "So it's as we thought."
"Hello, Mr Turret," she said gently. "May we come in?"
"Of course."
He let Anya and Levi through, before taking them into a candlelit living room. Flagon's mother was there, holding a family portrait and weeping. She looked up when Anya walked in and offered her the smallest of smiles.
"Hello, Anya."
"Mrs Turret," she said.
"Please, sit down. You look exhausted."
Anya and Levi sat next to each other on one of the couches.
"Can I get you anything?" asked Mr Turret.
"No, thank you. Please, make yourselves comfortable."
The Turrets sat next to one another, holding hands, and Levi knew how hard Anya was trying to keep it together. He didn't understand the relationship she'd had with Flagon, but his loss was affecting her more than the others.
"Did he... Was he brave, at the end?" Mr Turret asked.
Anya smiled. "Yes, he was. He even killed a few of the bastards."
Mrs Turret chuckled through her tears. "That's our boy."
"My comrade here...his name is Levi," Anya said, startling him. "He only joined a few days ago. He was placed into Flagon's squad. He ran an efficient team, didn't he?"
"Yeah," Levi replied. "He taught me a lot in the few days I knew him."
Anya nodded. "He was a brilliant Section Commander, and his sacrifice helped to further our mission for humanity's freedom. He wasn't just a fellow soldier, though. He was... He was my friend. We wound each other up to no end, as you both know, but he made life a little brighter for me. He really wanted you both to be proud of him."
"Oh, we are," Mr Turret said, his voice wavering.
Anya reached into her pocket and produced a man's ring. "I thought you might like this," she said. "The rest of Flagon's things will be brought over, in time, but he was wearing this during our most recent Expedition."
Flagon's mother eyed it, then nodded to her husband, some sort of silent agreement passing between them.
"We'd like you to keep it, Anya. Flagon... He really admired you. We... We know you're with Erwin, and that you make a lovely couple, but...well, Flagon had the biggest crush on you."
Anya smiled awkwardly and glanced down at her lap. "Ah, Erwin and I aren't together any longer. We haven't been for a while, now. Flagon offered to take me out, actually."
"He did?"
"Yes, though... We never quite got the chance," she admitted. "If you're sure, I'd be honoured to keep this." She offered the ring to them once more, but they both shook their heads, and she carefully secured it back in her pocket.
They chatted a little while longer, but then it was time to go.
"Thank you, Anya. Truly. It was nice to know that...that he thought of us in his final moments. That you were there for him, holding his hand," Mrs Turret said.
"It's the least I could do," she replied, hugging them both once more. "Look after yourselves, all right?"
"You, too. Both of you," Mr Turret said, nodding to Levi.
Surprised, he nodded in return, and then he and Anya walked off down the street, back to their horses.
"Well," she said. "Flagon's family...was the last."
He heard the quiver in her voice and looked up. Sure enough she was, at last, crying. She swiped at her tears, but they kept coming and, eventually, she gave up.
"I'm sorry," she sobbed. "It's not very impressive, seeing your Captain cry."
"Hey, you think I give a damn about that?" he asked, removing his hands from his pockets and taking an uncertain step towards her. "Anya, what you did today...that takes guts. Looking into the eyes of all those people and talking about the ones they lost, remembering all their names and personalities and quirks... Shit, I don't know how you do it."
"Thank you," she said. "I wish...I wish that there had been time to get to know Furlan and Isabel."
He glanced down, his own sadness returning. "They liked you, y'know," he said quietly, meeting her eyes again. "Thought you were kind. I think Furlan had a crush on you."
At last, a small smile returned to her lips. "He was cute. I bet Isabel was a handful, huh?"
"Yeah. Especially after she learnt to sing for her food."
"Huh?"
"She met a beggar in the Underground once that told her if she sang, she'd get given food. So...whenever she was hungry, that's what she'd do. She had the most awful damn singing voice I've ever heard, so Furlan and I gave her food just so she'd shut the hell up."
He smiled at the memory, despite the fact that it was now tinged with sadness, and Anya chuckled. "That's a tactic I can get behind. Good for her."
"She was such an idiot when it came to maths, though. I've never met someone so shit with numbers."
"I suppose when you're down there, maths isn't much good. It's getting your next meal that's important."
"Ha. She said almost exactly the same thing."
"Great minds think alike." A determined look entered Anya's eyes. "Come on."
"Where are we going?"
"To the tavern. You're going to tell me all about both of them."
Before he could protest, she had taken his hand and had started to lead him through the streets, and he found himself unable to resist. For what felt like the hundredth time, she had surprised him, and he wondered if he'd ever be able to fully understand her.

***

Anastasya

Anya was both emotionally and physically tired, but she realised that Levi needed company. Unlike many of the others in the Scouts, who still had their comrades and families to talk to about their losses and trauma, Levi had no-one, and she intended to change that.
They entered the tavern and Jacques, her old friend, saluted from behind the bar. She sauntered over and gave him two kisses on the cheek.
"Jacques, this is Levi. Levi, this is Jacques.
"Pleasure to meet you," said Jacques. "Anya... I heard about what happened yesterday. How are you doing?"
"Ah, you know me. Just carrying on, like always. Now...could I have a tankard of the usual, and Levi, what would you like?"
"Whiskey," he said.
"Coming up," said Jacques, getting their drinks ready. "And Anya; everything is on the house tonight. No objections."
"Jacques...you sure about that? I have a lot of sorrows to drown."
"That's precisely why," he said, giving her a wink.
She laughed, though there was no happiness in it. "Thank you."
"Yeah," said Levi. "Thanks."
"Not at all."
They took their drinks to a quiet corner table, and Anya sat back and released a sigh, before catching the amused glint in Levi's eyes.
"What?" she asked.
"Nothing."
"Hey, come on. If we're to be a squad, there shouldn't be secrets between us."
"You just seem to have a lot of admirers."
"Oh, that. Sometimes it's more trouble than compliment, believe me. Anyway, am I to include you in that? You did offer to buy me dinner, after all."
"Maybe," he replied brazenly.
He probably expected her to blush or get flustered, but instead she raised an eyebrow, as brazen as Levi with her response.
"Hmm. And here I was thinking it was so you could poison me and piss off Erwin and Flagon all at the same time."
She watched, delightedly, as embarrassment finally bloomed in his face.
"You got me," he admitted.
"I knew it. Anyway, we're not here to talk about me. Tell me about Isabel and Furlan. How did you all meet?"
She listened to every single word Levi had to say. By the time he had finished, the tavern was empty. Both of them had laughed and shed tears, and Anya felt decidedly lighter by the end of the night. She could tell that Levi was somewhat cheered, too, but it was going to take time before he could be himself again.
"You two," said Jacques, walking over to their table. "If you want, you can sleep here tonight."
"Are we that drunk?" Anya asked.
"I've seen you in worse states, but..."
"That's reassuring. No, we'd better go. I already missed a meeting with the higher ups earlier. I don't want them sending out a search party tomorrow."
"Make sure she gets back safe," Jacques told Levi, who seemed to stone cold sober compared to her.
"Yeah," he said, getting to his feet. Anya did the same, and together, they left the tavern.
Anya let the cool night air clear her head a little, and she looped her arm through Levi's.
"How do you feel?" she asked him.
"Tired," he said stiffly.
"You know what I mean."
"Yeah. I feel a little better. Thank you."
"Any time you need to talk, or just someone to go drinking with, I'm your girl," she said. "Thank you for sharing your memories with me."
"It feels like you gave me a chance to say goodbye, somehow."
"They'll be with you forever," she said. "I promise."
They continued on back to HQ, though on arrival, Anya grimaced.
"Ah...the horses. Where the hell did we leave them?" She turned to Levi, hoping she sounded authoritative. "Right, your first task tomorrow as a member of Anya Squad is to successfully locate and retrieve our steeds."
"Roger," he said. "Can you make it back to your room?"
"Mhmm. Levi, thanks for going with me today. It made it a little bit more bearable. I'll see you tomorrow. Make sure you get some sleep."
She stumbled off up to her room. When she reached it, she kicked off her shoes and flopped backwards onto her bed, an arm dangling over the side, fully intending to pass out. However, moments later, Erwin let himself in.
"You're finally back," he said, perching on the end of the bed.
"Yeah," she said, yawning. "Did I miss much?"
"The formation meeting."
"Mm well, Commander Sadies knew I might not make that. I was still out visiting families. They all wanted to...reminisce."
"Was it all right?"
"The same as always. Sad, but faith in the Scouts remains strong as a result," she replied, waving a hand in the air.
"I don't think I could do it," he admitted. "I heard you took Levi with you."
"He insisted," she replied. "I think he was at a bit of a loss as to what to do with himself."
"The Commander told me you've decided to take on the role of Captain now, as you'd intended."
"Yes."
"And Levi is the only one in your squad."
"For the time being."
"Be careful, Anastasya. We can't trust him; not yet."
"I think we can."
"Why? Because he didn't try to kill you today?"
"Erwin. You and I are both good judges of character. Tell me honestly if you think he could make an attempt on my life."
Erwin sighed and got up. "Just be wary. If you want, tomorrow I can go through who else might be a good match for your squad."
"Sounds good. You can fill me in on what I missed at the meeting, too."
"Of course. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Night."
Anya wondered, just for the briefest of seconds, if Erwin was jealous.