Chapter 5-Zud

Chapter 5: Zud

"Zud? Are you awake?"

Zud leapt out of his bed, grabbing the sword that was on his nightstand.

"Zud, relax. It's me."

"...Kate?" Zud asked, his eyes still adjusting to the darkness around him.

"Yeah, hey," Kate responded. "Sorry to wake you up, but Frost said he needed you."

Zud blinked. "...Ok? I don't get why he needs me though." Kate gave him a disapproving look. Zud scoffed. "Seriously, he always says he 'needs me', but it's always some stupid, mundane task that he doesn't want to do himself."

Kate sighed. "Zud can you please save the angst for the morning? I just want to get this done with and go to bed."

Zud gestured to the door, not trusting himself to speak again.

A/N: God this might be the hardest chapter to write yet. Sorry if this isn't my best writing.

As Kate and Zud exited the building, Zud noticed there were more houses than there had been in the morning.

Why are there so many... oh, right. Those time travelers or whatever they are. Well, at least it's more people to talk to.

Then he realized Kate was staring at him.

"What?"

"Well, it's just..' Kate stammered. "I don't see why you seem to resent Frost the way you do." Zud rolled his eyes. "I 'resent' him because he basically uses me as free labor!"

"Is that what you really think?" Kate asked. "I mean, can you name all the things Frost has taught you?"

Zud thought for a moment before answering. "How to fish and build shelters, how to make remedies for tons of things, way too much botany stuff, and some other things I can't remember." Kate stared at him. Zud groaned. "Alright, yes, I see your point."

The sound of a door opening made Zud look up. One of the newcomers, a tall, blonde man, was looking at Zud and Kate from his doorway. Kate looked back at him with a slightly apologetic expression. "Hey, Henwy!" Kate called, "Sorry if we woke you up!"

Henwy shook his head, walking towards Kate and Zud.

"Don't worry about it. I was already up, and I heard you talking, so I figured I'd see what you were up to."

Kate shrugged. "We weren't doing anything interesting, just going to Frost's place. He said he needed Zud for something."

Henwy looked intrigued. "Well, would ya mind if I came with you guys? I'd like to get to meet all of you guys."

Zud looked over at Kate. She shrugged. "Well, if you want to, feel free to come with us!"

Henwy grinned.

"Perfect."

"So, Henwy," Kate said once they had been walking for a while. "Why is it that everyone hates you so much? You seem like a good person."

Henwy chuckled. "Oh, I'm a great person if ya get to know me! I've just had some... let's say complications in the past."

Kate nodded. "I heard something about spawning the Ender Dragon?"

"Yeah, I was a bit of a villain before. But I'm not anymore, I promise!"

Zud had his doubts about that, to say the least.

I mean, really. What're the chances that this guy who used to be evil, suddenly becoming 'good' when he meets people who might believe him. I'll just hope Kate has the doubts I do-

"Well, I definitely wouldn't call you a villain!"

...great.

"And here we are!" Kate exclaimed, the talk with Henwy seeming to raise her spirits, much to Zud's concern.

Frost waved from the porch of his house. "Glad you could make it, Zud! We've figured it out!"

Zud was slightly confused. "...Figured what out-"

"We know how to use magic!"

"what."

Frost jumped down the porch stairs. "I know it sounds insane, but I can show you. Follow me!"

Kate chuckled. "I've never seen you so upbeat and... excited before, Frost. The pale man grinned in response.

"Well, this is something worth being excited about! Come on!"

The home Frost (And the other admins) lived in was a cozy one, with not much in way of decorations. There was a pile of shimmering dust on one of the tables, with some items Zud could only assume were wands next to it, as well as some books.

"So, care to explain all of this?" Zud asked curiously. He may not have been sure on how he felt about Frost, but Zud was more focused on the fact that he would finally be able to use magic.

Frost took a deep breath.

"So, essentially, everyone has an 'attunement', or certain type of magic they can use. I, for example, have an attunement to healing magic. You can only use magic that you're attuned to, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people are attuned to more than one type of magic. There is, however, an exception to the attunement rule. Blank Magic. Basic modifiers, such as making yourself faster, stronger, or more durable. Anyone who has established a connection to magic can use Blank Magic. However, it may take time for people to forge a connection to magic. Raf and I were lucky enough to already have a connection, but Florian does not."

While Zud was processing that insane information, Frost picked up one of the wands and tossed it towards Zud, who barely managed to catch it.

"Go on," Frost said eagerly, "Try to cast a spell."

Zud stared at the wand, unsure of what to do. Frost sighed.

"Alright, here's an easy start. You just need to point the wand upwards and say 'float'."

So Zud did just that. He felt his hands shaking as he slowly lifted the wand upwards, and cast his first-ever spell.

"Float."

...But nothing happened.

Zud felt like his entire world had crashed.

It didn't work.. It.. didn't.. Are you KIDDING ME?! AFTER EVERYTHING, I STILL. CAN'T. USE MAGIC?? WHY? WHY DOES FROST GET EVERYTHING?! WHY DO I ALWAYS GET NOTHING!? WHY? Why? "why..?"

Zud realized he was on the floor. Apparently, his legs decided to give up on him-

just like everything else..

-While he was having a mental breakdown. Then he noticed that his arm was bent at an unnatural angle. Seems he also had hit something-

Well, something other than the realization that I'm a failure and always will be-

-when he fell. His reaction shocked everyone in the room. Frost was the first to regain his composure. "Zud, are you okay?" He asked. "Well, you're obviously not, but, anyway. You don't need to worry about your connection. You'll get it soon. In the meantime, how 'bout I fix that arm of yours?" He grabbed something, -a white, smooth wand- from the table. He pointed the wand at Zud, and said, in a commanding tone, "Correct." A soft white glow emitted from the wand, before suddenly stopping. Frost dropped the wand with a yelp, shaking his arm out as if he'd been stung. "Well, guess that spell was a bit too advanced for me. No worries, We can just-"

Suddenly, Henwy clutched his chest. Groaning, he slowly collapsed down to his knees. But before he could fall to the ground, Kate grabbed him. "Henwy? Are you okay?"

There was no response.