Chapter 3 - The Job

Waiting for the rest of her team to arrive, Lucy sat on the bench nearest to the train. The blonde wizard could not help but think about Juvia while gazing off into the horizon. She could feel the same agony in Juvia's eyes in her own for a fleeting second. She was left wondering what the hell had happened.

While she was distracted with her thoughts, Natsu caught her eye by pointing out the job flyer.

He turned away from her stare when she stood up in front of him; was he so ashamed of her that he could not even look at her anymore?

When she considered it he'd been unable to look her in the eyes since the games. Every day, something was crumbling in her heart as she wacthed him spending less and less time with her. And when he did, he no longer looked at her with his kind smile spread over his lips; instead, he stared at her as if she were a fragile piece of glass that would break if he came too close to her. If he came too close, he would always move his hand away from her.

Their bond was slowly fading away with each passing day. Something she never thought would happen.

She smiled wistfully as she moved in front of her friends as the train came into their station while she felt her eyes begin to sting slightly from tears.

She sat beside Grey on the train with Natsu sitting on her other side not once sparing her a glance. Lisanna was across from her, with Erza sitting next to her and happy on the table with Plue.

Lisanna felt resentful about herself as she gazed down at the spirit and exceed. She cherished the idea that Team Natsu was asking her on missions once more, chatting with her, and spending time together as they had as children. She had loathed lucy for being the one with them at one point. But after being in Edolas and witnessing edo-Natsu fall in love with edo-lucy, she realized she had to finally let go of Natsu when he saw her stare at earth lucy as edo-Nastu looked at his lucy.

Lucy was usually a joyful person, and she had become close friends with her after hearing many stories about her, so she couldn't help but want to fix whatever was going on. Seeing Lucy as she was now devastated her because it brought back painful memories of her struggle to move on from Natsu. Even while she wished she could use this opportunity to win Natsu over, she knew she couldn't.

They were Natsu & Lucy.

Hours went by as the team finally arrived in the city of Anemoe, a bustling city filled with life and flower beds everywhere. The group walked towards the mayor's house, finding their way through the busy city, as the sunset behind them.

Lucy and Lisanna were the first ones at the Mayor's office as she knocked on the door with the rest trailing behind them.

"Are you the Fairy Tail mages?" inquired a man who was hiding behind the door's gap and had purple hair that stuck out here and there.

"Yes, we are; were you responsible for putting up the flyer?" This time, Erza questioned asked.

With a nod, he moved back and hurried them all into the mansion's formal living room. He eventually left after getting everyone tea as another man entered the space, this one with hazel eyes and cinnamon brown hair.

"It's a pleasure to meet each and every one of you, I'm Mayor Akira. I'm assuming you brought a light wizard?" Leaning up against one of the room's walls, Akira questioned.

"The joy is entirely ours; in fact, we are accompanied by a light wizard." Erza declared

Lucy eventually spoke up and said, "Is there any information you could offer us with mayor Akira?"

"Yes, magic does have an impact, but for some reason, light magic is the only thing that summons the beast while causing it relatively little harm. I'm terribly confused. If I'm being truthful. You can probably hear the town gradually winding down as the beast comes out at night.