~Prologue~

Hey guys! Just started this book and i have a few ideas for how it's gonna turn out! hope you enjoy it and thank you for reading! love ya x

Emerson jolted awake, screams erupted in the crispy air.

Eye wide and frantic, she dashed to the window, overlooking the streets below.

blood.

screams.

chaos.

cries.

repeat.

Her breathing picked up at the heavy footsteps echoing in the hallway. She scrambled away from the window in a panic picking up the closest object, hands shaking as she clutched the baseball bat in her death grip.

Her brown hair stuck to the cold sweat on her forehead, eyes darting rapidly back and forth between the door and the handle.

Her teeth biting at the inside of her cheek in anticipation, chest rising and falling at an inhumane pace.

A startled gasp escapes her lips as the door slammed open. Her father stood there reflecting her own fear.

"Pack up some shit, clothes, food, water, whatever!". He listed off things in a hurry as he turned around.

"What's happening?" Emerson's voice shook as she tumbled to grab her school backpack, throwing in a set of clothes and other necessities.

"No time to explain just do as i say!" He harshly responded, his hands grabbing at anything they may need.

Fear strikes in her heart at his tone. One she has heard many times before..

~~~~

The screams outside died down a little, leaving only a few in the distance, and horrors on the roads no child should see.

Emerson and her father race to the car, she quickly pulls open the door, holding her bat in her other hand tightly.

A scream bellows from the other side. She stops in her tracks.

More cries taunt her as she freezes. Through the car window she watches her father..

Being ripped into by one of those monsters.

It's grey flesh hangs loosely on it's bones, scratch marks litter it's body. Jarring teeth clash against her father's neck, the sickly smell of rotting flesh dance in the air.

blood.

cries.

screams.

growls.

Tears prick at her eyes as his fade into nothingness. A sob unleashes itself from her throat, catching the attention of the monster who quickly begins to snap at her; ready for it's next meal. Disturbing growls filter into her hearing.

So she did what she did best.

She ran.

And ran.

Into the darkness and away from danger.

(407 words)