11~ Hide and seek?

Hiii! Hope your enjoying the book, i'm thinking of making a Spotify for Emerson what do u guys think? anyways don't be a silent reader and not comment or i'll go full Negan on ya! love ya x

After Emerson left Daryl's camp she didn't know what to do. It was day 3 at the quarry now and she only had to last 4 more days.

But did she want to leave?

She didn't know.

Emerson continued to walk around aimlessly before returning to her favourite spot. The picnic bench.

Sure, she wanted freedom, but was it so bad having people to look out for her?

~~~~

An hour later, Emerson had learned that the group in the city were trapped in a store. Her mood had lowered even more if possible, Glenn was trapped.

Will he be okay? What if he doesn't make it back...

Her pondering was interrupted by two voices.

"Uh hello...Emerson right?" She looked up to see Carl, next to him stood Sophia.

They both stood there awkwardly and maybe nervously?

"What" Emerson sent a small glare as they both began to stumble over their words and disrupt her thinking  for longer.

"Well I- i mean- we- do you-" Carl began to speak but Sophia cut him off.

"Do you want to play hide and seek with us?" Her shy voice spoke, her hands rubbing against each other anxiously.

They had a hopeful look in their eyes.

Kid games?

We should be surviving, not playing.

Some of your group are trapped and you want to play a game?

Maybe it will pass the time however.

"Fine. But i'm not seeking first" She stood up with a scowl on her face.

"Really?" They both spoke at the same time.

"Don't make me change my mind" She mumbled out, already regretting her decision.

~~~~

They decided that Carl should seek first and the rest should hide, Morales kids came over to join in the game as well.

Carl began counting by the bench, Morales kids were frantic about where to hide, Sophia slightly calmer than them.

But Emerson.

Well Emerson has never had the chance to experience any 'silly games' her father had called them.

She didn't know whether to be enjoying herself or think as this as the same hiding she would have had to do in the first month of the apocalypse.

She thought about climbing up a tree, but Shane would surely kill her for being anywhere near the woods. The RV was where Sophia had hidden; so that was off limits and she didn't have her own tent.

By now, Carl had counted to 40, leaving only 20 seconds left.

Emerson dashed about, dodging things left and right as she thought about the only safe place the other kids were too scared to check.

The Dixon's camp.

With Merle in the city and Daryl out hunting or whatever, she knew this was her best bet.

Her legs carried her over slower than she would have liked.

10 seconds.

She ducked under the tent flap and peered inside.

It wasn't as messy as she had imagined.

5 seconds.

She sat down on the floor, her body strategically placed so she could watch Carl seek the other kids, but not be seen.

"Ready or not, here I come!" She heard him shout.

Why was she playing this again?

She's meant to hate it here.

A pool of guilt settles in her stomach as she thinks about Glenn being stuck and here she is playing a childish game.

And yet Emerson still found herself liking the small adrenaline rush it gave her. She thinks back to how she thought this was the 'safest' place to hide.

The image of that brought a grim expression to her face.

How could Daryl's tent be her safest option?

How could she even use 'Daryl' and 'safe' in the same sentence?!

She shook her head to get rid of those words and focused back to the game. Carl had caught Sophia very early on and was currently sneaking up to the Morales kids.

She nibbles at her lip in anticipation as she waits.

Some "boos" and "awes" were thrown about as Carl and Sophia had finally caught the other kids.

Now it was just her.

She watched as they looked everywhere for her, soon enough they huddled together discussing her whereabouts.

She quietly gasped and ducked back as they turned to face her direction.

They've found her!

They cautiously walked towards the Dixon's camp as she closes her eyes and accepts her defeat.

"Alri-" She lets out a breath of relief as she's cut off, the voice being loud enough to mask hers.

"Hey! Get away from my tent" Darl's voice gruffs out.

Oh how she's never been happier to hear his stupid voice.

Emerson tries to steady her breathing as the kids profusely apologise before scrambling away in fear.

"Yess!" She hisses, before letting out a gasp and clamping a hand over her mouth.

"What the hell" She hears Daryl mumble, before pulling back the tent flap.

He gives her an odd look, sweat sticking to his forehead, he's clearly just come back from hunting.

"Daryl! What a surprise your back early" She fake laughs, still peeping out the tent to see if the other kids have noticed her.

"Why ya in here?" His voice sounds mad but his face doesn't seem to show any.

Weird.

"Well i was playin hide and seek and this was my safest option and then you came back early and i-" He stops her rambling and holds up a hand.

"Right, I don't need a whole novel" He says, running a hand down his face.

"Anyway" She pushes past him harshly, a smirk catching her face at his glare "See you later ya troll" She waves back at him before walking away.

"Yer a little shit" He shakes his head at her before grabbing more supplies and returning to hunting.

(997 words)