12~ The red car

Hey guys! If your still reading, thank you so much! Hope you enjoy this chapter! Sorry for the late update, i've been quite busy. love ya x

After the game of hide and seek, Emerson was silently wandering around the camp. She had nothing else to do after all.

She would rather not help the adults with chores, school didn't seem beneficial in a shit world like this, and Glenn still wasn't back.

She lazily dragged her legs over to the RV, maybe she could wait for Glenn in there.

"Hello darlin" A voice spoke up.

Emerson looked up past Glenn's hat to see Dale leaning over the side of the RV, his rifle sat in his lap.

"How bout you keep me company?" He smiled, his eyes crinkling at the edges.

He reminded her of a grandpa, all happy and kind.

She bit her lip gently in thought, before finally shrugging and making her way up the metal ladder. Once she was up she sat near the edge carefully and crossed her legs.

"Is there anything I can do?" She mumbled almost shyly.

She glanced at Dale to see him deep in thought, his eyes burning into her.

"I have a book here but it's quite boring" He chuckled, rubbing his chin lightly before his eyes shone brightly.

"I have a colouring book and a few pencils if you want that?" He questioned, his smile once again returning.

She gave a small nod, watching him climb down the ladder and enter the RV. He came back moments later and sat back down.

He held the small book and a few crayons towards her.

Gingerly reaching towards them her hands grasped the objects slowly before placing them down and opening it up.

"Thank you" Her lips upturned a small amount, before dropping quickly.

~~~~

Emerson quite liked Dale's company.

He was quiet and never asked any prying questions.

They sat there for awhile, Emerson colouring and Dale reading a book.

That is, until they were interrupted by a loud alarm. It echoed all throughout camp as the others curiously watched the road.

"Hey, Dale, can you see what that is?" Someone asked as he held his binoculars up to his eyes.

Emerson momentarily covers her ears as the alarm gradually grew louder at each passing minute.

"Talk to me, Dale!" Shane's voice picks up.

"I can't tell yet" Dale waves him off as he continues to watch the road.

"Is it them? Are they back?" Amy's voice joins the conversation, a hopeful look in her eyes.

Is Glenn back too?

"I'll be damned" Dale voice catches her attention. She quietly asks him what it is, standing up next to him.

"A stolen car is my guess" He responds, patting her shoulder as he makes his way down the ladder, Emerson following after him.

Suddenly a red car pulls up in front of them, the person steps out.

It's Glenn.

He's back!

"Holy crap. Turn that damn thing off!" Glenn's wide grin is washed off his face and people begin shouting.

"I don't know how!" He waves his hands around frantically, everyone sharing panicked looks.

"Pop the damn hood!" Shane angrily shouts.

"What? Okay okay. Yeah yeah yeah!" He pops the hood so Shane can disconnect the battery.

Not long after the alarm finally stops and Emerson lowers her hands wearily.

"Where is she? She's okay?" Amy panics.

"Yes! Yeah, fine. Everybody is. Well, Merle not so much" Glenn responds quickly.

What did he mean by 'merle not so much?'

Suddenly Shane storms over towards him "Are you crazy, driving this wailing bastard up here? Are you trying to draw every walker for miles?" Anger dripping from his words.

"I think we're okay" Dale holds his hands out, attempting to calm the situation.

"You call being stupid okay?" Shane says exasperated.

"Well, the alarm was echoing all over these hills. Hard to pinpoint the source. I'm not arguing. I'm just saying. It wouldn't hurt to think things through next time?" Dale rejoins.

Yeah shut up Shane.

"Sorry, got a cool car" Glenn smiles sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

Emerson watches as Glenn's eyes fall upon her. A smile reaches his face as he walks towards her, bending down to one knee as he brings her in for a hug.

She tenses at the contact but doesn't shy away from it, instead resting her head on his shoulder.

"I didn't think you would come back" She mumbles, guilt pooling in her stomach as she remembers playing a stupid game while he was fighting for his life.

"Hey Emmy, i'm here now, don't worry" He leans back and pats her head.

She smiles. Not an unnoticeable one. But a full smile.

"Here I kept it safe for you" She utters, taking the hat off her head and stretching it towards him.

He smiles wildly "Thank you, hey i got you a surprise" He says, placing it on his head after readjusting the size.

She looks up, confusion etching her face.

"What is it?" She questions, tilting her head slightly.

"You'll have to wait and see" He places his arm around her shoulder as another vehicle appears down the road.

A truck positions itself behind Glenn's car.

The group starts filing out of it, all but one.

Merle.

(887 words)