4~ Campfires

Hello lovelys! hope you like the book so far! This is only a short chapter! love ya x

Dinner soon came around, everyone huddled round the fire, enjoying the squirrels Daryl had hunted. Laughter and chatter bounced around, mostly everyone was enjoying the company, apart from Daryl and (Emerson had soon learned) his brother, and the Peletier family.

However Emerson was off to the side, once again not speaking to anyone.

She made the mistake of looking up only to catch Daryl's curious eyes.

what's his problem?

She made a face of disgust and fake gagged when he caught her eye; he mumbled something with a shake of his head and glared at her.

"Toad" She mouths to him, her eyes sparkling with amusement at his sour look, his hand gripping his fork tighter.

"Little shit" He mouths back, smirking when she glares at him.

A new presence sits beside Emerson, she turned her head away from Daryl (not before sticking her tongue out childishly) and looked over to see Glenn.

"Why aren't you eating?" He simply asked.

"I'm not hungry" She smoothly lied.

She was in-fact very hungry, but who knows it could be poisoned.  

Her stomach betrays her with a soft rumble.

Glenn cocks his eyebrow at the sound "You sure? your stomach seems to disagree"

"It could be poisoned" She murmurs, heat rising to her cheeks at her dumb accusation.

"It's not poisoned" He amusingly smirks.

"If Daryl skinned em i wouldn't put it past him" She points out.

He chuckles at her response, a small smile appears on her face but falls as fast as it appeared.

"What do you have against Daryl, yeah he's an asshole, but it's only been a couple hours" He remarks.

"One: He made me run into a tree. Two: He keeps calling me a little shit. Three: He threatened to leave me for the walkers. And four: he's just annoying" She lists off.

He nods in acknowledgment to her words before speaking up.

"I never learnt your name kid" He wonders aloud.

"Emerson" She mutters.

why is she telling these people?

" Maybe Emmyyy" He teases dragging out the word.

"No. Emerson" Her face doesn't show any interest in his jokes.

There interaction is cut short by the sound of a voice.

"Alright people, time to hit the hay" She learnt his name was Shane.

Goodnight exchanges were thrown around before people entered their tents. Emerson cluelessly looks around wondering if she's sleeping by the fire.

"Cmon Emmy you can sleep in the RV" Glenn offers her a hand but she ignores it.

"I told you, it's Emerson" She frowns trailing after him.

"I know" He grins slyly as he enters the RV.

Emerson quietly makes her way to the extra couch Glenn pulls out.

She hasn't slept on something as comfy as this in awhile.

She slightly sinks into the couch, her muscles instantly relaxing to the soothing surface.

"Here" Glenn kindly drapes a blanket over her small frame, not before ruffling her hair though.

"Thanks" Her mouth turns up the smallest amount before dropping back down and smoothing the new frizz in her hair.

Glenn retreats back to his own couch, reaching over to the light and flicking it off.

"Night Emmy" He mumbles, fatigue taking over the moment he laid down.

"Night" She whispers, to tired to even correct the new nickname he has given her.

She turns her body over facing the wall, her eyes feeling heavy.

She hasn't slept in many hours.

Is she safe now?

Her thoughts are soon drawn out as she slips into a dreamless sleep.

(601 words)