008 What Else Did You See?

CHAPTER 008

CHAPTER 008. WHAT ELSE DID YOU SEE?

STEVE SEEMS SURPRISED WHEN HE REALISES IT'S LAURIE STANDING BEHIND HIM.

Having just finished a Jazzercise class her cheer captain Chrissy Cunningham had invited her to, Laurie decided she'd quickly sneak into Scoops Ahoy to visit her friends before the next bus arrives to take her back into town. Technically, she's still grounded, seeing as her mom has her car keys locked in a gun safe in her closet.

But Laurie was starting to feel ridiculously lonely. It had only been a few days since her mom put her on house arrest, but she missed Robin, Steve, and even Dustin to no end.

Sure, Robin called her every night to tell her about how her day went and how mopey Steve apparently looked, but it wasn't the same as seeing her in person. Steve even called her one or twice because Robin apparently gave him her number - which, in reality, was just a blatant lie so he didn't have to admit that he practically begged her for it.

After Laurie had convinced her father that missing this Jazzercise class could risk her place on the cheer team - Laurie could have honestly just batted her bright blue eyes at her father until he caved in all honesty - but she decided to bend the truth just incase.

It took Laurie and her dad over an hour of convincing and begging, but seeing as her husband had already agreed, and she prefers to be a unified front, her mother said Laurie could attend the class just this once.

While making her way down towards Scoops after saying her farewells to Chrissy, Laurie didn't even realise how giddy she was until she almost crashed into someone while running down the escalator.

She goes to cross the foodcourt in the direction towards the ice cream parlor, but that's when she spots Steve and Dustin crouched behind one of the many obnoxious plants lining the mall with a pair of binoculars, seemingly bickering about something that made Steve's cheeks redden.