033 I Know What I Saw

CHAPTER 033

CHAPTER 033. I KNOW WHAT I SAW

     IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO NARROW DOWN WHERE EDDIE MUNSON MIGHT BE TAKING REFUGE.

It took about an hour or so of Dustin, Max, and Laurie calling Eddie's so-called friends to try and figure out his whereabouts. Robin and Steve continued serving unsuspecting customers, though the freckled girl helped when she could. Steve wanted no part in it. Laurie could tell just by the look on his face that he thought Eddie was guilty.

A lot of the calls Laurie made led her nowhere, most of which resulting in her getting the same answers over and over again. Try the arcade, a girl named Liz said. Eddie's always hanging around there. Another person suggested that he'd be smoking at Skull Rock, or maybe even practising with his bandmates at one of their houses. Though they seemed like legitimate places Eddie might be, the Dante girl and Dustin mutually agreed that they were far too obvious of places for him to hide out in. If you're suspected of murder, you wouldn't go somewhere people are expecting you to be.

Laurie could feel Steve's eyes lingering on her as she spoke through the phone, her fingers twirling at the cord as she tried to narrow down who to call next. With the phone clasped between her shoulder and her ear, Laurie turned to look over at her boyfriend, but Steve was quick to look away, tapes clambering in his hold. She frowned, but she didn't say anything, either. If Steve was going to act weird, much like herself, she was going to let him.

     To be entirely transparent, there was a part of her frustration still lingering in her chest from what had happened the day before. The wound of being shot down was reopened and it never gets the chance to heal, it seems. It's like she's fighting with a double-edged sword, because though Steve is adamant about his adoration for her, he hasn't yet realized how blind it makes him, how his certainty hasn't allowed him to notice how unwanted she feels.