i'm so insecure, i think.

PAIRING: padawan!anakin skywalker x prime minister!reader

SUMMARY: As the Prime Minister of Mandalore, death threats are quite a common occurrence. You are afforded the company of Padawan Skywalker, much to your displeasure over the subject. You realize that his company, however, is far from vexing.

NOTES: the attack of the clones scene where anakin takes up the mission to guard padme back to naboo. only this time, that did not happen and instead, this one shot took place.

lol i have not yet watched the clone wars so if there are any mistakes on my part, it is completely intended lmao. maybe look at this as canon-divergence (BECAUSE IT IS JAN)

"I can't believe the train is late," Anakin huffs, his irritation muted by the jittering of his whole physique, boots bouncing off the floor, robes swaying to his every movement

"I honestly don't know why you insisted upon this," You mutter harshly, wary eyes scanning the public street. Garbed in a filthy burgundy dress unfitting of your status while Anakin dons a white poncho under his equally dark burgundy shirt. To unknowing eyes, it would seem a newly-wedded couple has just arrived from their Outer-Rim planet to spend their honeymoon out on Coruscant. A tale the Duchess herself had spun.

"Why must I be stuck here with you while Master preens for the Duchess?"

"Excuse me, Padawan?" You shout, indignantly, garnering eyes on your supposed disguise.

"Kriff. Now you've ruined our cover. Just great, Prime Mistress." He curses, dropping a single bag to pull you close to him as convincing as he can be to regain control of the situation. You were supposed to be young and in love, after all.

So you pull him down by his scarf, noses by a mere hair's breadth, duly noting the metal cars of Coruscant's train arriving. "I should not have expected common courtesy from you, Skywalker. Master Kenobi must be in constant deal of your remarkable ineptitude. How he had lasted this long in your presence goes beyond me."

You wish to have captured the outrage crossing his features as he drinks in your remark. Snatching the bag on the ground, you approach the open doors of the train.

"Hey! What does that mean!"

Much to your displeasure, the train is almost empty, save for the napping Besalisk at the far corner which gives Anakin the chance to hound at you. He jumps at the seat next to you, clearly giving no room for you to breathe.

"Why must you insist on sitting beside me? There are other seats available!"

"Oh, but milady, then I would be breaking my oath to my Master, The Council, and Duchess Satine if I were to leave you alone."

Groaning quietly in your mind over Anakin's endless pursuit, you sit ramrod straight as if you're in a Council Meeting, deflecting any utterance from the infuriating Jedi. You had wished Duchess Satine allowed you to come with her and Obi-Wan because it would then comfort you knowing that you can protect her– that she is safe in the hands of her own people. You know of Master Kenobi's skill – he has beaten Maul before and surely he can do it again but Duchess Satine's safety will thrive in numbers, not in secrecy.

But instead, you were made to endure to travel with Obi-Wan Kenobi's lowly Padawan and his unneeded comments about the situation. While you are indeed plagued with several death threats looming overhead, you are a warrior first and foremost. You can protect yourself from these assassination attempts. None will suffer from a loss of a Prime Minister. You will get replaced by another, but the Duchess cannot.

"Why must you be so difficult, milady?" Anakin asks you after a moment of silence. Just the echoes of the Besalik's snoring occupying the train.

"I am simply worried about the Duchess' safety–"

"Have you no confidence in my Master?"

Boring a rather large hole at the side of his face, you continue. "Of course I do, Padawan Skywalker. There is none whom I trust with My Lady's life more than Master Kenobi. I just wish Duchess Satine considered her life over mine. This protection is needless for me. I am but a mere Prime Minister; replaceable–"

Anakin places a hand on top of yours, the cold press of the metal seeping through the cracks of your anxiety. "Do not think you are any lesser than the Duchess, milady. You are just as important as she is, a fair ruler of your planet. Compassionate and just. Someone that the Senate– the Republic needs."

The train stops, doors hissing open saving you just in the nick of time. You try your hardest not to let your mask crumble under Anakin's kind words and the sheer belief he has of your leadership over your home planet. He has yet to know you fully and yet Anakin Skywalker seems to have put all your worries into rest.

Anakin quietly stows your luggage in the compartment, weaving through the traffic with practiced ease.

"Thank you for your kindness, Jedi. While it is un–"

He sighs, stopping just short of the Temple. Anakin turns to face you earnestly, "You're starting it again."

"Starting what?"

He pushes himself closer to you, his warm hand sliding into your own. "You think you are undeserving of such praise. That is not true, milady. Everything I have said came from the locals, from my very own Master and most importantly from the Duchess herself. You think so little of yourself but the people around you think of you as the world. Take a little credit, why don't you?"

Anakin escorts you inside the large Jedi Temple after securing his airspeeder in his parking spot, your protests of carrying at least a single bag fall on his deaf ears, boots squeaking underneath the pristine marbled floors.

"Jedi–"

"Just call me Anakin, milady."

"Then you'd have to call me by my name as well, Anakin. I fear that your formalities are somewhat misplaced. We are, after all, on Coruscant. My power and authority as Prime Minister does not extend to this planet."

He lifts a perfect brow, a slow smile spreading on his lips, guiding you to the High Council's room.

"So you can be cheeky at times."

"I have an image to retain, Anakin. My true self can only be shown to the people close to me."

"So I'm your friend now?"

"Humble yourself, Padawan."

"I told you to call me, Anakin!"

NOTES: lol is this a love letter for my insecurity in writing? maybe? maybe not lmao

NOTES: lol is this a love letter for my insecurity in writing? maybe? maybe not lmao... but one thing is for sure there is no anakin to ease my pain... cries

CROSS POSTED ON ARCHIVE OF OUR OWN.