you know it's not the same as it was

PAIRING: darth vader x reader

SUMMARY: Anakin dreams of what could have been; Vader dreams of death.

It has been far too long when he dreams of you again. Vader feels the warmth of Naboo's sun bearing down on him, a clatter of hooves against soil and grass. He breaks away from meditating, his eyes, Anakin's clear blue eyes looking straight ahead of him, to your blinding smile. A blur of brown shoves you back into the grass, the sound of your laughter bringing peace to his tumultuous heart.

"Ani, come!"

"Daddy!"

The skies darken, Naboo's wildlife shifting into concrete and smoke and chemicals. He is Vader once more. Death on his hands, red staining his vision, watches as grief twists your pretty features, the clatter of cuffs scratching against the skin of your wrist, hands – tears outstretched, reaching, mouth pulled in an angry stretch.

He follows your desperation, landing on the blurring figure of a small child, his child. His daughter . Falling, falling, and falling– her braid a mere inch from the ground–

Vader wakes up, choking. Wheezing. Screaming. Clawing the sensitive skin of his throat. He grabs the nearest object beside him, a hologram of your image smiling back at him– for Anakin. He breathes, reeking with destruction and blood; and in his rage kills Anakin's beating heart.

NOTES: so sorry for the delayed updates! I got held up today lmao and my wifi connection was spotty for a solid 2 hours so i couldnt use the internet

set in the i love you so (please let me go) series universe on archive of our own.

CROSS POSTED ON ARCHIVE OF OUR OWN.