Pt. 8

When I couldn't run anymore, I collapsed on the floor. I guess I lost her. I looked around realizing it was pretty dark despite it being the middle of the day. I felt cold.

"What do we have here?" a voice mumbled causing chills to run down my spine. "Hmm, you brought quiet the spectacle Ailaka Kurenai."

The creature came out from behind the shadow of a tree. He was what looked like a snake with wings?

"Who are you?" I asked defensively.

"Hmm, you love her?" He said ignoring my question.

"What?"

"My old friend Ailaka Kurenai has a soulmate and she does not need a mere distraction," he says slithering closer.

"She is my soulmate though?" I said confused.

"I see no string."

"Oh, that's because I cut it," I explained.

"What? What pain she must be in," he exclaimed.

"Pain? No, I don't think so. She was just kissing someone else," I said feeling my heart start to clench up again.

"The string of faith is a indestructible entity in itself. It will forever leave its echoes in one's soul. You've caused her much pain over the years and now you've done it. Cutting the string of faith. What a daring one you are!"

I've hurt her? Oh. I guess I have. She's lost everything and I'm selfish enough to treat her poorly because I didn't want to admit my own feelings.

"Oh well you can always stay here, since she doesn't need you anymore. No one needs you. You're better off staying here," he spoke again.

The snakes lulling was soothing. He's right. Aila doesn't need me. Isn't that why I cut the string in the first place? Wait. But she kissed me, maybe she does like me. She has put up with me for so long too. No one else can stand my temperament. Aila, I'm so sorry. Please take me back. I want to go home. 

'Of course love,' a familiar voice spoke in my head.

"No she doesn't like you!" the snake spat.

"You can see my thoughts can't you. Necromantic magic. Aila uses it on me sometimes. She used it just now. She could hurt me if she wanted to. She never does."

"Ugh, what kind of trance did you put on her?" the snake asked.

"Koushi, sometimes the most powerful bonds are the natural ones," another voice replied. Has she been her the whole time? "Let her go."

I hadn't even realized that I had been levitating some 20 ft off the ground and I fell. My mind started racing as the wind rushed past me, I couldn't move my body from whatever trance the snake put me under. I wanted to scream, but then there was a soft breeze that slowed my fall. A pair of arms supported my back lying me down.

"Whatever, don't forget to invite me to your wedding," the snake muttered and left.

The darkness lifted allowing the sunlight to flit down through the tree tops. I looked over realizing that my head was rested on her lap. I looked up at her. To anyone else her face would look passive, but I could see the concern in her eyes.

"Hi," I said.

"Are you okay?"

I smiled finally understanding Jesse intentions. "You scared me. I thought you didn't want me."

"Isn't that what you did first?" she asked her eyes flickered with pain. "Shit," she cursed under her breath closing her eyes tightly.

Oh, right, the string, "I'm sorry, I didn't know it would hurt you. You didn't tell me y'know." I sat up rubbing her back trying to relieve the pain.

"You scared me too. What were you thinking running out of the boarders?" she asked tears filling her eyes.

Oh how her apathetic façade has failed. In all honesty I didn't know I passed the boarders. I know that Aila has before though, but she also uses the same magic they use out here. How lonely did she feel knowing that her whole family had been killed off, even her dad?

Her body trembled as she let out quiet sobs, "What would of happened if Koushi hadn't found you. What would have happened if... You're the only one I have left."

I reached a hand up wiping her tears away. I wrapped my arms around her pulling her to my chest, "I'm sorry, please don't cry."

"I love you," she whispered.

My eyes widened. She loves me. Some weight inside of me lifted.

"I love you too Aila," I said smiling. I feel so light with happiness.

There was a tug at my pinky and the red string re-appeared.