Part 4.5

Alia's POV
I woke up, changed my clothes, washed up, and packed my bag, like I did everyday. I awoke well before sunrise to play around with my magic. It was safer past the boarders.

Today was nothing special but it was the day I was born 17 years ago. It's been 5 years since Jade stopped throwing me surprise birthday parties. It's been 5 years since I would receive a store bought card with her signature instead. Just another autumn day.

I let myself fall backwards off the platform of the tree house welcoming the wind's embrace that slowed my fall and placed me down on the ground.

"Show off," came the unamused voice a few paces away.

"You're up early," I commented.

"I always get up this early, I just don't come to see you, but Dad wanted me to come get you for breakfast before you went running off to the woods again," she replied rolling her eyes with her usual temperament.

I simply nodded and followed her to the house. No magic for me today.

"Aila! Aila! Aila! Look at my new dress," exclaimed Jasmine, Jade's little sister.

"It's very pretty," I said smiling back at her. It was a one of those dresses with multicolored tule.

"I wanna grow up to be just as pretty as you," Jasmine said whilst spinning around the kitchen island.

"Hey what about me, don't you want to be as pretty as me too?" Jade questioned her sister.

With the innocent smile only a child could pull off she replied, "Well if I'm just as pretty as Aila then I'll be prettier than you!"

Jade scowled at that causing me to stifle a laugh.

"What's the use in being pretty if you don't have any friends," Jade mumbled.

"It just means people aren't just friends with me because I'm pretty unlike.." I trailed off.

"Listen Kurenai, my friends are friends with me because I'm a good person."

"Mhm, whatever you say your highness."

She sent me a glare, but a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

It was days like this where Jade would let off of her usual overt hostility that reminded me how we were, at some point, very good friends. I guess my birthday did have some perks.