Chapter 7: Dilemma

°•☆"He laughed,
My darling
You will never be unloved by me
You are too well tangled in my soul"
-Atticus°•☆

____

✾ ༄ ꧁꧂ ༄ ✾
____

She was right.

Which was the last thing she was hoping for.

Marinette didn't get much sleep just as she thought, but the news articles that came out the next day only proved her theory. Chat Noir didn't mention anything to her when she had asked him the night prior, but his silence on the matter was the answer she needed.

She frowned, looking at the dark haired, blue eyed freckled face woman that appeared on the article.

She reached up, rubbing her neck with a nervous grimace. This was too much of a close call. The realization that this could have been her only made her more and more sick.

Perhaps Chat Noir was right, she should've explained to Adrien that she couldn't come in. The thought of walking home to her bus stop in the dark only made her more and more nervous.

"Another murder, huh?"

Marinette pressed her lips together, her hand squeezing her coffee cup at the sound of Chloe's voice.

"I mean I'm lucky, I have bright blonde hair and tan skin..." she sighed, pouring herself a cup of coffee beside the other woman nonchalantly. "I don't think I can say the same for you."

Marinette rolled her eyes, locking her phone screen and shoving the device into her purse.

"As if I didn't already realize that." Marinette muttered, suddenly unable to take a sip of her coffee due to the uneasy feeling in her stomach. "I'll be sure to watch my back more often."

Chloe hummed, setting her coffee down on the counter and adding some milk to it.

"I mean, maybe the killer is after you." She mused, placing the small containers of milk down before she reached for the sugar. "Seriously, maybe you're the one he's after."

Marinette scoffed, a disgusted expression plastering it's way on to her face. "Don't be ridiculous. I haven't done anything to anyone that would make them want to murder me." She deadpanned, her eyes narrowing with anguish. "He'd have to be obsessed."

Chloe picked up her coffee and turned to glance at Marinette with a small chuckle. She took a very light sip of her scolding coffee before she shrugged.

"I guess your furry friend isn't doing anything." She sighed. "I mean this murder was in the neighborhood, you'd figure he caught them at this rate."

Marinette took a daring sip of her coffee with a grimace. She ignored Chloe's furry comment. No one knew that Chat Noir often came to her room at night and she planned to take that secret to her grave.

"It's not easy you know. This murderer works quick. I honestly think the victims knew him somehow. I mean- I'm sure they're still selected randomly while having the same appearances as one another. I feel like... he's getting his victims to trust him in some way." She murmured, completely going off of Chat's idea. He was definitely on to something.

"How do you know this? Talk to the big cat of Paris often?" Chloe asked before she blew into her coffee and took another sip. "I didn't know you'd be so quick to defend him."

Marinette gulped, a deep blush coating her cheeks as her heart quickened. The last thing she wanted Chloe to know was that she saw him on a near nightly basis.