Chapter 2: It wasn't what it seemed

_______

•☆° She had found the colors to paint him.

   Where the world had left him gray.

-Atticus •☆°

✾  ༄   ꧁꧂ ༄  ✾

_______

Marinette stepped out of the police cruiser.
The moonlight casted an eerie glow to the path of her apartment doors. 

She had spent most of the night being questioned by the police about what had happened - Marinette made sure not to leave out any details. Despite being incredibly tired and still having the drive to continue work the next day, Marinette couldn't find it in her to move her feet.

It all almost felt surreal. 

She was only moments away from being killed, but Chat had shown up at the right time. Marinette was sure she was about to do well on her own, but by the way her assailant had her pinned, the fight would have been in vain. The police knew about the mysterious cat hero who prowled the streets at night, looking for the unknown serial killer who had taken the lives of many young women in Paris, and it was a cold day in hell to finally learn that they may have finally caught their killer.

At least that's what she had hoped and felt confident in.
Marinette wasn't told about anything in regards to the detained suspect, all she knew was that the weapons that were found on him, matched many of the wounds found on the women who were recovered from the dark alleys from which they died.

She wasn't told a name, an age, a motive. She wasn't told anything.

The lines beneath her eyes deepened, and the young women shuffled her keys between her pale fingers as the police cruiser slowly pulled away from the curb, leaving her alone on the street once more.

Her blue eyes trailed up the pavement leading to the secured building in which she resided. She yawned, her heart nearly sinking into her stomach the moment she suspected that it could have been the very early hours of the morning.

Crap.

That just means only three hours of sleep and waiting in line for a good half hour for the coffee machine inside the cafeteria at work.

She reached up, fixing the blouse of her outfit and tucking a few strands of loose dark hair behind her ear before she tiredly made her way down the pavement. 

                                                                                   __________

                                                                            •☆    ꧁꧂ •☆

                                                                                    __________

 Marinette was still shaken by the time she hitched the elevator to her apartment. She had spent hours at the police station with many people in her ear assuring that she was alright, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she could find herself in danger again sometime soon.

She also couldn't get Chat Noir out of her head. She couldn't rid the sound of his voice, his flexibility, and his timing.

Marinette couldn't have been more grateful, and though she didn't see much of him after the police arrived to the scene, she couldn't help but hope that she'd see him again.