Chapter 3: A night to wonder

°•☆ "Love, 
to me is stumbling around in the dark
trying to find the right words to describe the feeling I get when she smiles while she sleeps."

-Atticus °•☆

____

✾ ༄ ꧁꧂ ༄ ✾

___

“I don’t know her…”

The words hit Alya like a sack of potatoes. Her eyes narrowed, quickly glancing down at the screen of her phone that displayed an obvious photo of Marinette.

   "Erm...yes...you do," the brunette refuted. "She's you..." 

Marinette visibly felt her eye twitch the moment the reporter flashed her the mugshot of herself from the many years ago she had gone underaged drinking at Chloe's New Year's party and was caught. 
   She knew those things were public records, but she never thought the press would be that impertinent to dig up old mugshots of her teenage years and hunt her down for an interview. 

All Marinette wanted to do was grab her pepper spay and be on her merry way. She had only a few minutes for her break and with this new promotion she was ten times more fastidious when it came to her punctuation. 
She was working directly beneath the owner of the Agrestes' fashion line and the last thing she wanted was to be held hostage.

She had promised Chat Noir that she wouldn't speak to the press and she sure as hell wouldn't tip off the serial murderer or incline anymore copycats that wanted to prey on any women that resembled her likeness. 

"I can't talk..." Marinette deadpanned, slowly spinning on her heels and clenching her fists. She pressed her lips together and trained her eyes to the nearest store so that she could find the nearest way out.
  She could feel her heart squeezing within the confines of her chest, but she sure as hell wouldn't be harassed nor hounded in broad daylight. 
She had enough of that the night before when she was sure she wasn't going to make it home only hours prior. 

  The young woman sighed, her blood pushing through her veins the moment she could hear the reporter follow her relentlessly without any sort or trepidation. 

  "The public has the right to know of any copycat murderers out on the streets preying on the women of Paris. You have the responsibility to keep those women safe-" Alya retorted, her voice wobbling as she followed.
  Marinette stopped abruptly, her brow furrowing as Chat Noir's voice continued to bounce around in the inner corners of her mind.
"And the public has that right to remain safe," Marinette retorted, turning to face Alya with a grimace of frustration. "If I say anything about what had happened to me, if I mention anything about a copycat murderer I could inspire hundreds of other copycats to continue doing the very same thing. We could put more women in danger." 
Alya pressed her lips together, her chest growing tight as her eyes remained trained on Marinette. 

  "Then I had the right to at least report that there was an incident and that there were no injuries..."
Marinette simply shrugged, a small blush dusting her cheeks as she could recall the night she was attacked and how she only made it unscathed thanks to Chat Noir. 

  She also vividly recalled how he said if she wanted to see him, she could simply ask and he'd come to her.
All sorts of strange things happened that night, but she was glad that it was over. She was sure she wouldn't be able to walk without looking over her shoulder again. 

"I think that would be something you could always ask the police. I don't think I'm interested in speaking to the media," Marinette elucidated with a small smile, a small wave of confidence suddenly enveloping her body the moment she realised that she finally had one over on this one. 
At least this move would be safe. 
Had something leaked to the tabloids, it would be due to police mishandling; it wouldn't be due to anything she had done.