[2] Sinners Play As Saints

Kalopsia

(n.) The delusion of things being more beautiful than they really are

                I groggily lift my head from the floor of an unknown room. As I wipe the sleep from my eyes I begin to register that I'm not in my room anymore, I'm in the hallway. "What the heck am I doing here...?" I say, voicing my confusion. "Looks like you're finally awake,'' observes Sydney. I whip my head around to see the girl from yesterday. She had short fluffy hair that covered most of her face and looked like she could snap me in half if she just so wanted to...mental note not to get on her bad side. "Did you put me here?" I ask. "No, I found you lying there a couple of minutes ago. I'm guessing that you must have teleported in your sleep." Wonderful, now my back hurts even more from sleeping on the tile, I hate these stupid powers already. "Well breakfast is about ready so would you like to come down to the dining hall with me?" "Sure but I'm not a big fan of breakfast so don't be surprised if I don't eat anything." "Haha same, I much prefer dinner over breakfast."

           As Sydney and I enter the dining hall, I notice Kailey and Kai are already seated and feasting on the cuisines along with Davis, whom I found out the name through eavesdropping. I take the seat next to Kailey and pour myself a glass of vibrant orange juice. As much as I don't like these people, I had to admit Kailey had such a cute outfit on. "I- er, I like your outfit" I choke out. Kailey turns towards me and gives me a small smile. "Thanks, my whole wardrobe is practically all pastels" she says laughing. We talk a little longer exchanging stores and outfit ideas when I notice Elizabeth and Rachel walk in. I turn back to my seat and finish off the glass of orange juice, downing it in one gulp. Elizabeth sits next to me as she loads a couple of chocolate chip pancakes onto her plate. "Not going to eat?" she asks. "Nah, I'm not really a fan," I respond. "Weirdo. More for me then!" she says as she puts a couple of croissants next to her pancakes drowning in the sticky syrup. "So...." Rachel starts, "Did you have a good sleep Amber?" she asks, smirking. I scoff and roll my eyes. "Hush now Rachel, you had an even worse night if my memory serves me well....I think you floated yourself in the air vents, correct?" says Kai in a mocking tone. A deep blush forms on the girl's cheeks as she scoffs and looks away. "Um...." interrupts Davis. "Amber, I believe your pinky is missing..." I look down and sure enough there is no pinky finger to be seen and it's slowly spreading to my entire hand. "Not again..." I whine, wondering where it will take me now. I sit there for a couple seconds until, VWOOSH! I'm suddenly transported to the middle of the table, right into a bowl of deviled eggs. I hear a chuckle coming from Rachel's direction. Ugh, I don't even have a change of clothes..... "Want to borrow my clothes?" Kailey asks. "If you wouldn't mind...."

              She drags me along the corridors when we finally get to her room. She opens the door and I'm all of the sudden bombarded by light colors, I shield my eyes, so bright. After deciding on a purple skirt and white sweatshirt we left the room and made our way to the main expanse. There was a fire going, warming the whole room with its orange color. There's a fluffy sofa and chairs placed around the fireplace. Sitting in one of the recliners was Sydney and Rachel was sprawled out on the couch. "Guys, check this out." Kai implores. We all gather around to see a poster offering a reward for a notorious villain. "The prize is...$950,000!?!?" Exclaims Rachel. "That's crazy," I remark. "I bet we could easily capture them with all our powers combined.....they wouldn't stand a chance" establishes Sydney. "I wouldn't be so sure, Syd" says Kai wearily. "They are worth that much for a reason, plus Amber hasn't even learned to control her powers yet. According to this flier, he's abducting young children from ages 10-16 and rumors say it's for experimentation. I want you guys to be extra careful from now on....especially you Amber, what would happen if you accidentally teleported somewhere and we couldn't find you? I don't want anyone going outside unless they absolutely have to, and if you are, have someone accompany you. Got it?" We all voice our agreement and return back to the fire. I melt into the fluffy chair and snuggle up in my hoodie. I slowly close my eyes and listen to the quiet buzz of my new friends talking about the wanted man. The fire sparks and lets out a loud crackle. I let out a sigh which makes my rib cage throb from the altercation a couple days ago.