[12] Inescapable

Feuillemort

(adj.) The color of a dying leaf

             I let the last of my tears fall as I'm bent over his dead body, why does everyone around me die? Lost in thought, I feel the hilt of a gun push up against my roughly bruised back. What...? The metal is cold and shocks me away from my distress. "Make any move and I'll shoot you on the spot" Kai announces, pushing the gun even harder into my back. "Kai? What's going on?" I ask confused. Why is she trying to kill me? Is everything that Zach said true? "I'd like to thank you all for helping me with my plans. Everyone always falls for it so easily" she says, letting out a slight chuckle. "Now get up" she barks. I slowly make my way up and turn around. Wait!? Kailey too!? I make eye contact with Kailey and her eyes widen. Her face contorts into a sad regretful look and she breaks eye contact with me to observe the floor. My heart stings at the heavy betrayal. How could they do this..? "Oh, if you're wondering about Kailey, she only went along with it because I promised to spare you guys. Although looks like I lied." Kailey's eyes wip off the floor, her gaze now directed towards Kai."But- but you said you wouldn't kill her!" Kailey shouts, bewildered at her statement. "Oh shut up" Kai scoffs as she lifts the gun away from me and now towards Kailey. "I don't have any more use for you, good bye." Kai cocks the gun back and steadies her finger on the deadly trigger. "Wai-" before I could finish my cry, the gun already went off. BANG. I gasp and just stare at Kailey's flaccid dead body now awkwardly placed on the floor. "Oh, and did you think I didn't know what you were planning?" Kai unsheathes her sword, the dark purple scattered with ruby red blood. She swiftly slashes her sword to her right stabbing right into an invisible source. The sound of blood dripping echos through the room. Elizabeth materializes accompinied by a new sword sticking through her stomach. "I'm sorry Amber, I tried, I'm so.....sorry..." Elizabeth chokes. Her chest is heavily moving up and down as she tries to get in air, but it's a futile attempt. More blood gushes out, making me want to throw up. "But, I hope this will at least do something..." she vaguely hisses. She abruptly grabs Kai by her shoulders and before Kai could react, she closes the distance and uses the sword in her stomach to stab into Kai's flesh. "I'm happy I could do something....to help-" Elizabeth's body goes limp and slides off the sword. Her intestines string along, following her lead, making a loud 'splat' when they fall. I gag and throw up the few bits of food I had left in my stomach. 

          "I-I got stabbed...?" I looked into Kai's eyes for the first time during the conversation. I could see the regret in her face. The pain at what she had done and what she had failed to do. She broke eye contact and stared, tears in her eyes, as if seeing her betrayal all over again. "Oh no.... Amber....I'm.... gonna die. I-I don't want to die....not yet......I'm...scared." And for the first and last time, the craziness in her eyes faded away for sympathy and kindness, something the trifle girl was afraid of. "Tell me things will be better on the other side, tell me I get a second chance." she whispers softly, a glossy tear rolling down her cheek. My thoughts were destroying me. I tried to stay silent but the silence was killing me too. "No-" I say, my voice cracking as I do so. "I don't want to lose you too!" I shout, unable to hold back my tears. My eyes grow wide as I watch Kai lift up her gun to her head. "NO, PLEASE NO! YOU CAN'T!" I yell, my body trembling and tears making contact with the floor. Her finger trembles above the trigger. "I'm so sorry," she breathed. I'm suddenly flipped around and now lying on my side facing the wall. BANG. I gasp, unable to control the quivering in my body. I then hear a loud clang of metal and a soft thud. I bring my shaky hands to my mouth and can't stop the tears violently streaming down my face. As I look over, my whole body goes cold. Witnessing it first hand makes the sadness so deep I can't even cry. I was prepared for this but it still hurt. I know she changed. I could see it in her eyes and hear it in her voice. She wasn't the same. She was just a young girl who was given the world as a responsibility. And now she's never coming back. She's gone. My eyes refuse to watch her leave, so my tears continue to blur my vision. I wonder if things would have turned out differently if I had done just one thing differently. I wonder. But maybe it's better this way...a little lonelier, but better. I learned how to be strong in the end, but now, I'm all alone.