Chapter Three: Pizza Delivery

Freddy could not pass through the shutters, so he promised to meet Gregory by the elevators.

Gregory asked, "Why don't I go with you?"

"It is safer and quicker for you to take this route," Freddy answered. "I am uncertain of the hazards that may have appeared since I was here last."

"Well, okay. I'll meet you by the elevators, then." Gregory ducked under the first pair of shutters but had to crawl under the second leading to the front area. He hesitated at the shutters and then crept forward. He didn't hear Chica's heavy steps, but for all he knew, she could be standing still or something!

He couldn't spot her near the fountain or through the glass windows in the shops. So, he turned around and passed by a photo booth to go to the elevator.

Freddy approached from the stairs.

Gregory pressed the button.

...

He pressed the button again.

...

Gregory sighed and went to the next elevator. This one opened when he pressed the button. Unfortunately, it opened into a dark, empty elevator shaft lined with wires and metal bars. He looked up to see the bottom of the elevator about a story or so above them. He puffed, "Well that stinks. What do you think?"

"I believe this is for the better. The elevators, after lacking basic maintenance for so long, may be unstable. Perhaps we can go through the Utility tunnels back to Rockstar Row. Now that you have that Security Pass, you will have access to the main atrium."

Gregory shrugged. "Eh, fine. Let's just... not run into anyone else, okay?"

"Yes. I agree. Chica has changed so much since I have last seen her, and Sun has become dangerous. I hesitate to meet Roxy and Monty."

Gregory followed Freddy back through the Utility tunnels–including a ridiculous number of stairs–and to Rockstar Row. Gregory hesitated for just a second to be sure he could not hear any shoes or her voice. The shutters on the opposite end of the hall from Freddy's room opened far enough to allow Freddy through.

This hallway was thin and winding. A large, red metal cylinder with a porthole in it sat in one of the corners. The hallway expanded into a room, which was turned into a maze by red velvet ropes. While Gregory ducked under the standing ones and stepped over the broken or fallen ones, Freddy tried his best to weave through them. Unfortunately, the creators of the twisted line did not seem to take Freddy's bulk into consideration and he ended up clipping some and finally toppling a few over.

They passed a desk and decorations. At the end was a grassy scene with a big, cartoon brown bear with a black top hat and bow tie and a funny purple rabbit with a red bowtie. Freddy stopped here. The glow from his baby blue eyes lit up the faded cardboard cut-outs.

Gregory looked at the cut-outs and then back at Freddy. "Is that you and Bonnie?"

"That is a previous version of me," Freddy explained, his gaze never wandering. "It is also a previous version of Bonnie. I miss him, sometimes."

Gregory's gaze softened and he looked at the shutters that would lead to the atrium. "...I'm sorry. Let's get moving, okay? We should probably, um, get out of here."

"Yes, we need to find an exit quickly."

"Do you think we could check out the elevators from this side? Maybe someone left something in the other elevator. That came up to the first floor here, right?"

"Yes, it did. Perhaps there could be something of value."

The shudders opened, revealing a gargantuan... room? Room seemed to diminish it. This place could hold a three-story house with room to move around! A huge attraction sign covered in leaves and grass and a golf club blocked the area to his right. "COME BACK SOON!" was written on the back of it facing another set of shutters to his left. The left wall continued as far as Gregory could see, interrupted by shutters, escalators, and pop-up food stands.