Chapter Twelve: The Rabbit

Oppressive silence squeezed him.

Through another construction area on the left side of the wide room, he made his way to the end wall. Two chain link fence sections, one opened inward and one not, both with yellow signs screaming at them not to enter, stood beneath the closer barricaded staircase.

He found the open red door.

Gregory pushed it open and hopped lightly onto the grate and descended the stairs into the darkness. His flashlight dragged over the walls, floor, and ceiling.

Finally, he arrived at the cement floor. Immediately, a gate barred him entry... a gate with golden chains and a sign declaring Monty should not come near.

He hopped and grabbed onto the chain-link gate. It took him a few seconds to scale the weirdly tall gate and hop down the other side. Dust puffed up from under his shoes.

Cement pillars, damaged by time and strain, peppered the space. Piles of dirt, rock, and cement scattered about. Wires dangled freely and a metal beam fell over so it leaned on the wall high enough that he didn't need to duck under it. Gregory was going to get tetanus just looking at the place!

Eventually, after winding through the darkness, he got to one last gate. This one had a glowing green light on it rather than chains. He edged to the side and climbed up that piece of the fence in case the other one was electrified. So, this place was drawing power. From where?

He passed a control panel to a scrappy elevator. Its rusted doors squeaked open. Apprehension nipped at his heels. Still, he forced himself inside of the small space. If Vanny used this door to get to her lair, then it had to be somewhat safe for humans, right?

The doors whined closed, and the elevator shuddered. Distorted elevator music mumbled to him as he descended.

A rather short eventually later, the elevator stopped moving and dinged. The doors opened to reveal a tunnel. Gregory stepped outside, looking over the dark earth-and-cement cavern partially lit by lights on tripods, some standing, and some knocked over. Generators, their lights red just like the ones that had been in the Daycare, sat across the tunnel. A string of golden Christmas lights strung up a good half of the length of the tunnel. Gas cans, empty and full, scattered across the edges.

Gregory took out his Faz Cam as he moved. He inspected the rebar and pipes and supports and slabs of cement. Some walls were bare completely of human interference, showing a wall of stone interlaced with natural metal. He pulled the lever down on the first generator. It growled to life, the red light becoming green. Dust and steam trickled into the tunnel, condensing into fog at the smallest places where Gregory couldn't believe construction equipment could comfortably traverse. He bristled upon coming face-to-elbow with an endoskeleton. He jumped back, camera raised.

The endoskeleton, hanging limp from one of those hangers attached to the wall, did nothing. The one beside it stayed still as well.

Gregory shook himself and continued moving, his gun tight in his grasp.

The cavern widened again, and the fog dispersed, making it slightly easier to see. At the end of the cavern was a wall, technically. A wall with a set of decorated red metal doors. Above that, the lights emblazoned around its sharp edges was a giant sign proudly declaring "Freddy Fazbear's" in intricate cursive and "Pizza Place" in the plainer text just below. The show-time bulbs flickered, some alive, some dead, some struggling to stay consistently lit.

Freddy Fazbear's Pizza Place? How old was this place? What was this place? Surely, they didn't have an entire separate diner from the nineties or whatever just sitting under the Mega Pizzaplex. That was just...