Chapter 14

"Dom?" He asked, praying that his voice was light

"Dom?" He asked, praying that his voice was light. "Have you ever known someone to speak to a púka? Do their words always come to pass?"

Dom shrugged. "Have we reached the part of the journey where we tell monster-tales? In the good stories, they do."

"I don't mean in tales," the Skaara said. He hoped that his voice did not sound panicked. "I mean a real púka."

"Aren't you the monster expert?"

"I'm just curious. I've been wondering on this for a few days now. Feels like an interesting subject of conversation."

Dom sighed. Though he often lamented being unable to grow a beard, he rubbed his chin thoughtfully all the same. "Father swore he saw one once. But he never told me what it said. Might be my imagination, but I thought he treated me worse after. I cannot tell you what came to pass or not..."

"I am sure that there are philosophers and scholars who would know such things. I ought to ask them."

Dom eyed him warily. "You are not a philosopher. What did the púka say to you?"

"What?"

The prince gave a long sigh. "You were gone when I woke up, and we couldn't find you for an hour. You've been strange all morning... well, stranger... and now you're asking me what I know about monsters. Really, you're not as clever as you think you are. What did it say?"

The Skaara turned his face away so his expression would not betray him. "It made it sound like we would find Ciara. That we would be successful. I wanted to know if I could trust its words."

"You can never trust its words," Dom said. But he smiled, just a little. "All the same, that is encouraging. Though I wonder where the trick lies. You don't remember the way he phrased it, do you?"

I remember all. "N...no," the Skaara stammered.

Dom galloped ahead of him, and he threw his head back to smile. "This morning, when you disappeared, I did not expect good news to come of it."   

"I'm amazed he hasn't collapsed yet," the soldier whispered, gesturing to Dom

The second he spoke, the Skaara began preparing himself for the soldier's funeral. Everyone was exhausted-- they had been marching for almost half a moon, with minimal food and rest. The freezing rain certainly didn't help matters. But Lady Ciara had slowed with no explanation, and they were so close that her magic left his head rattling.