Chapter 27

For the first time, the Skaara dared to look death in the face

Death was a middle-aged man, only moderately tall. His hair was just beginning to grey at the ends, its color surprisingly similar to Dom's. Dom. Knowing that he would never see the prince again, the Skaara searched for the traces of him in the King's face.

He found bits and pieces, hidden under the haughty expression of a man who could have been ordinary. The King was neither hideous nor beautiful. He did not look like a destroyer.

"Welcome," the King said, and there was almost warmth in his voice. He gestured towards an ivory chair, but the Skaara would have needed to dance through the bearskins spotting the floor in a makeshift carpet. He refused, rather confused by the fact that he was still alive, an entire minute after daring to defy the King with his gaze. The King was not the type to disguise his cruelty or fury. He was most unsubtle.

"Your majesty," the Skaara began, before stopping himself. If I am already dead, I will not cower. I will not cower ever again.

The King smiled, like the curve of a gleaming blade. It was the smile of someone with a secret.

"Why am I here?" the Skaara asked. Habit made him add another "your majesty" to the question, and he hated himself for it. The fierce defiance that came to him easily was gone, and replaced with courtesies and cringing.

The King relished his confusion. "Always several steps behind, I'm afraid," he muttered. "Tell me, is that why you let the girl escape?"

"Your majesty, I didn't let her escape," the Skaara said. Damnit. Already cowering. "I was delayed in my journey, and I wasn't able to make it to her in time..."

"Oh yes, I know," the King said. "I know all about your delays. Your little detours. I'm terribly sorry that I said you let the girl escape. I should have specified which girl."

"I didn't know about Alana," the Skaara said. "My powers were weakened from exhaustion, and by the time I met her, I couldn't tell. Trust me, I was just as horrified and furious as you when I learned."

"You're a rather good liar. Impressive conviction, clever excuses. Fearlessness, one would think. But you can't meet my eyes."

"I'm not used to looking at you," the Skaara said, forcing himself to. The King's eyes reminded him of beetles, black and shining. All the malevolence that was hidden in his plain face glittered within his eyes.

The King grinned. "Yes, I know. I could execute you for just that, and that alone, if I wanted to."

"Then why don't you?" the Skaara said. The words sounded too loud; they startled even him. But caged animals were bound to lash out, and his nerves couldn't handle this game. He had entered the King's tent with conviction. He would not let the King steal both his life and strength. "If you have summoned me to kill me, kill me. I'm not afraid of you."