Chapter 16

The moment Lugh turned the corner, he dropped the bridles

The moment Lugh turned the corner, he dropped the bridles. True to his promise, he had been quick, returning from town within the hour. As to whether he had been inconspicuous or not, several new dents in his armor told a different story. But he was back. Regardless of what happened, no-one had suspected that he was helping Ciara. Beside him, two beautiful horses nickered and panted.

Lugh scrambled to pick up the bridles before they ran. His eyes were still wide. "Ayla."

For a moment, Ayla's fierce gaze softened. She ran towards Lugh, overflowing with purpose and determination. Ciara smiled, heartened by the romance of their reunion. It was like something out of the epic poems she adored, where lovers crossed the world to return to each other's arms.

The moment before they embraced, Ayla slapped Lugh.

Ciara gasped.

"You didn't come back," Ayla hissed. "Three years, and you never came back. And now I find out you're serving him--"

"I couldn't return, Ayla," Lugh said. "I wanted to return home with all my heart, I promise." Ciara wished she could explain how true that was. Lugh had begged her father to grant him leave to return to Castar a thousand times. At first, she thought it was just homesickness. But a thousand other details came to her, like the way Lugh could always be found in their courtyard, staring wistfully at the maraan trees. Ciara hung back, unsure if she should defend him or not.

But Ayla changed the argument into Castarian. Though Ciara barely knew a few basic words, she didn't need a translator to understand the sound of fury.

"I didn't want to serve him," Lugh said, switching the argument into Lowynnian for Ciara's benefit. "He would have killed me, and my father for good measure!"

"And why is that?"

"Because I was trying to help your people, Ayla! I brought back those berries, hoping that I could sell them to someone. Someone trying to stay hidden."

"And you happened to give them to a draodih hunter instead?" Ayla asked. Her voice sounded like the low and threatening crackle of a fire. 

Lugh sighed. "Someone sold me out. I was caring for my father, and one day there came a knock at the door. You can imagine my surprise when the General burst in. He told me that he had it on good authority that I'd been peddling some sort of dark magic to disguise draodih. He even pulled out his sword and brandished it in front of my face!"

Ciara choked. "He didn't!" she cried in shock, forgetting that she wanted to stay out of this lover's quarrel.

Lugh almost smirked. "Once he was certain I was terrified out of my mind, he told me he had a draodih daughter. Told me he'd kill me if I dared tell anyone, not that they'd believe me anyway. And then, he promised he'd take care of my father and spare my life if I went with him. Ayla, what was I supposed to do?"