Chapter 21

The Skaara's brilliant plan had one glaring flaw

The Skaara's brilliant plan had one glaring flaw. It required him not to get shot by a crossbow. Stone parapets watched over the forest. They were manned by nothing more than a few soldiers each, but it would only take one man to notice his sulking form, notch an arrow, and--

He ignored the unpleasant thought. Considering the alternative-- an unspeakably violent end at the hands of a furious King--he took the risk, and gladly.

The Skaara kept himself cloaked in the trees, slowly stalking towards the gates. He had chosen to wait until the cover of night, but the moon was nearly full. On one hand, its light provided him a clearer view of the sentries. On the other hand, it also provided the sentries with a clearer view of him. The Skaara comforted himself with the thought that they were exhausted, stiff and extremely bored. 

Don't worry, he thought. You'll be getting some excitement very soon. He soon reached the trees closest to the crumbling wall. The enormous stone bodies cast their shadows over him, and the Skaara misliked their watchful eyes. Still, he couldn't feel terribly guilty for what he was about to do. 

Now came the most difficult part of the journey: he had purposely chosen this spot to decrease the distance he would be required to travel alone and unguarded. But, for a minute at least, his back would be completely exposed. The Skaara was uninterested in becoming target practice for some spoiled sentry.

He held his breath and counted, waiting for the signal. He readjusted his armor in the meantime. It was thin and rusted, not to mention untested against crossbows. Still, he felt better once he had confirmed that it was tightly fastened and free of gaps.

Silence greeted him, and the Skaara frowned. Had he lost count? Or was Dom to blame? Though risking his own life was hardly new, he felt a flash of panic at the idea of Dom being late. What if someone caught him?

His panic was shattered by the distant cries of the sentinels. They gestured furiously towards the glow of a distant fire as smoke slowly crept into the sky. The Skaara wasn't sure if they would investigate the source of the fire or not. 

Damn. It seemed his plan was increasingly full of gambles. Unfortunately, the Skaara had never been very good at gambling. 

It seemed the soldiers were confused about their next course of action as well. They shouted indistinct commands to one another, and the wind caught snatches of their panic. The Skaara knew that the Keep would be on high alert for the King's armies. But a single fire hardly suggested an army.

 The Skaara didn't really care what conclusion they came too. His distraction had one purpose-- to distract. Even in silhouette, he could see that the sentries faces were turned away from him. 

The Skaara took a deep breath, and sprinted desperately towards safety, as fast as he'd ever been. To his highly-focused ear, his footfalls sounded thunderous. But the whooshing of arrows never came.