~TWO~

~I notice how she looks at me, but I pretend that I don't see~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEEP.

BEEP.

BEEP.

Luz groaned as she turned off her alarm, sitting up and glancing around the room. The bed on the neater side of the room was empty. Amity must've woken up already. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and got dressed in the Hexside uniform. 

Walking through the halls, Luz clenched her schedule tight in her hands. Her conversation with her new roommate still playing in her head. She felt bad about it, Amity seemed really burnt out. But she was also a bully. Lost in thought, she bumps directly into another student.

"Oh! I'm so sorry." Luz scrambles to help the girl up. The green haired girl nods, adjusting her glasses.

"It's okay! I should've been looking where I was going." She laughs. "I'm Willow."

"Luz!" Luz holds out her hand. "Luz Noceda." Willow shakes her hand with a smile.

"Have you seen a short curly haired boy named Gus? He's 12, and about this tall." She holds a hand an inch or so below eye level. 

"12? Isn't this a high school?"

"He's crazy smart." Willow explains.

"Ah. Gotcha." Luz nods. "No, I've only seen you and my roommate to be honest." 

"Yeah, that's okay. We have first period together so I'll find him if he doesn't get lost." 

"What's your first period?" Luz asks hopefully, looking at her own schedule.

"Science with Mr. Hart." Willow replies.

"Me too!" Luz exclaims eagerly.

"Awesome! Wanna head over there with me so we're not late?" Willow holds out her hand and Luz takes it happily, finding the classroom with her new friend. If only she had been roomed with Willow. That would've been perfect.

Turns out, Mr. Hart is great. He lets everyone choose seats, so Luz sits down at a table with Willow and Gus, who didn't get lost.

"So, how are you two liking the school so far?" Willow asks. 

"The building is gorgeous, but I can't stand my roommate." Gus responds.

"Yeah, same." Luz groans.

"Really? I'm roomed with this nice girl named Bo." Willow says, surprised. 

"I got this guy Mattholemule. Sucky name, sucky guy." Gus laughs a bit. "He took my dresser by guilt tripping me. And I fell for it."

"Oh, that's cold. Mine's been ignoring me for the most part." Luz waves a hand in the air, recalling the silent treatment she received after their conversation. "Some girl named Amity."

"Amity Blight?" Willow's eyes widened, and she seems worried.

"Yeah, I think so." Luz nods, putting a finger to her chin in thought.

"She used to be my friend, before she turned mean."

"I'm sorry, Willow."

"It's okay! I have Gus, and hopefully, you, now?" Willow explains, and Luz's whole mood lights up. "Besides, I should be the one who's sorry you have to room with her."

The three of them mostly chatted while working on their first day worksheets. At the end of class, Luz exchanged numbers with each of them and created a group chat. Because why not?

Most of the day went by slowly, Luz and Willow had second period together, and Luz shared her third period with Amity and Gus. Luckily, Amity sat across the room and payed no attention to her roommate. When it was time for lunch, Luz walked with Gus to the cafeteria and they found Willow in the sea of freshmen. 

"Hey, Luz. Hi, Gus!" Willow smiled as they sat at a small circular table with her.

They talked about their teachers and hobbies for awhile, until Amity stormed past their table and towards the cafeteria doors. Luz looked back at the girl. Amity's arms were crossed and she was fiddling with the fabric of her uniform shirt. 

"She looks upset." Gus pointed out.

"She probably didn't get the expected reaction after bullying someone." Luz muttered, blowing a raspberry in her direction. But as Amity glanced around, leaving the cafeteria and running off, Luz saw a hint of fear in her eyes.

"Wonder what that was all about." Willow whispered. "At least she's left me alone so far. She never left me alone in middle school."

"So you live around here?" Luz questions.

"No, Amity moved last year when her siblings started here." Willow replied.

"Do you two live near each other?" 

"Yeah, we've been friends since primary school." Gus answers this time.

"Cool. I don't know anybody here, but that isn't surprising considering these kids are from all around the country." Luz added, although she was really relieved nobody from her middle school went here. They were all horrible to her. Especially one girl who bullied her for asking her out. She had bullied her for being cheesy and for being bisexual, although a year later Luz caught her making out with a girl in the bathroom during class.

Lunch ended and two more classes went on until sixth period. Language arts. 

This class was Luz's favorite so far, even though she was sat next to Amity. The teacher said she'd just be letting them free read since it's the first day. She expects Amity to get out a math textbook, but she's surprised to see Good Witch Azura 3. 

"Is that.. Azura?" Luz asks, pointing at the cover. Amity's face goes red, and she looks back down at the pages.

"It's for a book club my mom made me join." She lies, but Luz unfortunately buys it. Disappointed, she nods and returns to her own copy of the second book, which she was rereading.

"Why did you seem so upset during lunch?" 

"Leave me alone." Amity snaps, and Luz returns again to her own book. 

Luz Noceda, you need to stop this.